FREE Catholic Classes
In Italian or modern architecture, a small structure on the top of a dome, for the purpose of admitting light, for promoting ventilation, and for ornament. The name is also given to any such projection, even if it has no such openings and serves merely for decoration. Examples include:
- the Karlskirche (church of St. Charles Borromeo), Vienna ;
- chapel of Montepulciano, Italy ;
- St. Peter's, Rome ;
- St. Paul's, London;
- St. Isaac's cathedral, St. Petersburg;
- Sta Maria della Salute, Venice ;
- Sta Maria del Fiore, Florence;
- the Frauenkirche, Dresden ;
- church of the Val de Grace, Paris ;
- St. Stephen's Walbrook, London ;
- Sta Maria di Monte Santo, Rome ;
- Madonna of the Little Well, Guadalupe, Mexico;
- church of the Oratory, London ;
- church at Loyola, Biscay, Spain ;
- La Superga, Turin ;
- Sta Maria di Carignano, Genoa ;
- Palermo cathedral.
Download Now >
Copyright 2020 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2020 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.