The Proverbs - Chapter 16
The Proverbs Chapters
1 A human heart makes the plans, Yahweh gives the answer.
3 Commend what you do to Yahweh, and what you plan will be achieved.
5 Every arrogant heart is abhorrent to Yahweh: be sure this will not go unpunished.
9 The human heart may plan a course, but it is Yahweh who makes the steps secure.
10 The lips of the king utter prophecies, he keeps faith when he speaks in judgement.
14 The king's wrath is the herald of death, but the wise will appease it.
16 Better gain wisdom than gold, choose understanding in preference to silver.
18 Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
20 Whoever listens closely to the word finds happiness; whoever trusts Yahweh is blessed.
22 Shrewdness is a fountain of life for its possessor, the folly of fools is their own punishment.
26 A worker's appetite works on his behalf, for his hunger urges him on.
27 A worthless person concocts evil, such a one's talk is like a scorching fire.
32 Better an equable person than a hero, someone with self-mastery than one who takes a city.
Reading 1, Acts 18:9-18: 9 One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision, 'Be fearless; ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 47:2-3, 4-5, 6-7: 2 For Yahweh, the Most High, is glorious, the ... Gospel, John 16:20-23: 20 'In all truth I tell you, you will be weeping and wailing while ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- A Big Thank You from JESUS IS - The Series HD Video
- First US female genital mutilation case tries to use Religious ...
- Catholic Hostages: Filipino Cardinal prays for Islamic militants to ...
- 26 Coptic Christians BRUTALLY MURDERED on bus to St. Samuel Monastery ...
- St. Augustine of Canterbury: Saint of the Day for Saturday, May 27, 2017
- Daily Readings for Saturday, May 27, 2017
- 26 Coptic Christians dead after heinous attack HD Video
- Day 5 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 4 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 3 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.