The Proverbs - Chapter 16
The Proverbs Chapters
1 A human heart makes the plans, Yahweh gives the answer.
3 Commend what you do to Yahweh, and what you plan will be achieved.
5 Every arrogant heart is abhorrent to Yahweh: be sure this will not go unpunished.
9 The human heart may plan a course, but it is Yahweh who makes the steps secure.
10 The lips of the king utter prophecies, he keeps faith when he speaks in judgement.
14 The king's wrath is the herald of death, but the wise will appease it.
16 Better gain wisdom than gold, choose understanding in preference to silver.
18 Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
20 Whoever listens closely to the word finds happiness; whoever trusts Yahweh is blessed.
22 Shrewdness is a fountain of life for its possessor, the folly of fools is their own punishment.
26 A worker's appetite works on his behalf, for his hunger urges him on.
27 A worthless person concocts evil, such a one's talk is like a scorching fire.
32 Better an equable person than a hero, someone with self-mastery than one who takes a city.
Reading 1, Wisdom 12:13, 16-19: 13 For there is no god, other than you, who cares for ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 86:5-6, 9-10, 15-16: 5 Lord, you are kind and forgiving, rich ... Gospel, Matthew 13:24-43: 24 He put another parable before them, 'The kingdom of Heaven ... Reading ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- 'Social Cleansing': Is Philippines President Duterte guilty of human ...
- We all have EVIL in us!: Pope Francis makes strong statement ...
- St. John Boste: Saint of the Day for Monday, July 24, 2017
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat ...
- Daily Readings for Monday, July 24, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD Video
- Why are all these Catholic women coming to New Mexico?
- Daily Reading for Monday, July 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 HD
- Deadbeat Republicans, do your job or GET OUT! HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 HD