The Proverbs - Chapter 20
The Proverbs Chapters
4 In autumn the idler does not plough, at harvest time he looks -- nothing there!
5 The resources of the human heart are like deep waters: an understanding person has only to draw on them.
7 The upright whose ways are blameless -- blessed the children who come after!
11 A young man's character appears in what he does, if his behaviour is pure and straight.
12 Ear that hears, eye that sees, Yahweh has made both of these.
13 Do not love sleep or you will know poverty; keep your eyes open and have your fill of food.
20 Whoever curses father or mother will have his lamp put out in the deepest darkness.
21 Property quickly come by at first will not be blessed in the end.
28 Faithful love and loyalty mount guard over the king, his throne is founded on saving justice.
29 The pride of the young is their strength, the ornament of the old, grey hairs.
30 Wounding strokes are good medicine for evil, blows have an effect on the inmost self.
Reading 1, Acts 1:12-14: 12 So from the Mount of Olives, as it is called, they went back ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 27:1, 4, 7-8: 1 [Of David] Yahweh is my light and my salvation, ... Gospel, John 17:1-11: 1 After saying this, Jesus raised his eyes to heaven and said: ... ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- A Big Thank You from JESUS IS - The Series HD Video
- Getting Creative With Dead Bodies?
- St. Maximinus of Trier: Saint of the Day for Monday, May 29, 2017
- Jesus Is HERE: Pope Francis declares Jesus intercedes for us every day
- 26 Coptic Christians dead after heinous attack HD Video
- US Archbishop decries President Trump's budget plan - at odds with ...
- Daily Readings for Monday, May 29, 2017
- Day 5 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 4 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 3 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.