The Proverbs - Chapter 1
The Proverbs Chapters
1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
2 for learning what wisdom and discipline are, for understanding words of deep meaning,
3 for acquiring a disciplined insight, uprightness, justice and fair dealing;
4 for teaching sound judgement to the simple, and knowledge and reflection to the young;
14 throw in your lot with us: one purse between us all.'
23 Pay attention to my warning. To you I will pour out my heart and tell you what I have to say.
31 so they will have to eat the fruits of their own ways of life, and choke themselves with their own scheming.
33 but whoever listens to me may live secure, will have quiet, fearing no mischance.'
Reading 1, Acts 16:22-34: 22 The crowd joined in and showed its hostility to them, so the ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 138:1-2, 2-3, 7-8: 1 [Of David] I thank you, Yahweh, with all ... Gospel, John 16:5-11: 5 but now I am going to the one who sent me. Not one of you asks, ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- A message from Heaven: God is the only way to peace
- How bad is religious freedom in the U.S.? Supreme Court Justice Alito ...
- St. David I of Scotland: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, May 24, 2017
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, May 24, 2017
- Which unique characteristic lies within Pope Francis' new cardinals?
- Bomb explodes during Ariana Grande concert full of young fans HD Video
- Daily Reading for Thursday, May 25th, 2017 HD Video
- St. John Baptist de Rossi HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 HD
- Fatima apparitions to be featured in dramatic new film HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.