Help Now >
FREE Catholic Classes
( Latin majoritas )
- (1) In the elections or deliberations of any assembly, majority signifies a higher number of votes. There is an "absolute majority when the number of votes exceeds half the number of the voters; a "relative majority" when the votes for the one candidate, or party, numerically exceed those given to any other. There are also certain special majorities required in certain cases, such as that of two-thirds required for pontifical elections ( see CONCLAVE ; ELECTION);
- (2) In reference to persons, majority is the state of persons who have reached the age required for such and such definite acts; in particular for acts of civil life. As a rule, the age of majority is fixed at twenty-one years (see MINORS);
- (3) In the hierarchical sense, majority is the superiority of certain persons over certain others by reason of the charge or dignity held by the former. It connotes authority, or at least precedence; and its correlative is obedience when there is question of jurisdiction, deference and respect when there is question of dignity. Thus, in the Church, the clergy are superior to the laity ; among the clergy, individuals are ranked according to their jurisdiction, their Holy orders, etc.
In a certain sense, even church buildings have a hierarchical precedence, the first of churches being St. John Lateran's, the pope's cathedral, "mother and head of all the churches of Rome and of the world"; next come the "major" basilicas, then the primatial churches, the metropolitan, cathedral, collegiate etc. (cf. Decretal, I, tit. xxxiii, "De majoritate et obedientia").
FREE Catholic Classes Pick a class, you can learn anything
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Saint of the Day for Wednesday, Feb 8th, 2023
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Mysteries of the Rosary
St. Josephine Bakhita
Prayer of the Day for Wednesday, Feb 8
St. Jerome Emiliani
The Apostles' Creed
Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, February 08, 2023
- St. Jerome Emiliani: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, February 08, 2023
- A Prayer For a Family: Prayer of the Day for Wednesday, February 08, 2023
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, February 07, 2023
- St. Moses: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, February 07, 2023
- Prayer to Saint Joseph : Prayer of the Day for Tuesday, February 07, 2023
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.