FREE Catholic Classes
Abba is the Aramaic word for "father." The word occurs three times in the New Testament ( Mark 14:36 ; Romans 8:15 ; Galatians 4:6 ). In each case it has its Greek translation subjoined to it, reading abba ho pater in the Greek text; abba, pater in the Latin Vulgate, and "Abba, Father" in the English version. St. Paul made use of the double expression in imitation of the early Christians, who, in their turn, used it in imitation of the prayer of Christ. Opinions differ as to the reason for the double expression in our Lord's prayer :
- Jesus himself used it;
- St. Peter added the Greek translation in his preaching, retaining the archaic direct address;
- the Evangelist added the Greek translation;
- St. Mark conformed to an existing Christian custom of praying by way of hysteron proteron.
We ask you, humbly: don't scroll away.Hi readers, it seems you use Catholic Online a lot; that's great! It's a little awkward to ask, but we need your help. If you have already donated, we sincerely thank you. We're not salespeople, but we depend on donations averaging $14.76 and fewer than 1% of readers give. If you donate just $5.00, the price of your coffee, Catholic Online School could keep thriving. Thank you.
Help Now >
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Stations of the Cross
A Guide for Confession
First Station: Jesus is condemned to death
Saint of the Day for Saturday, March 25th, 2023
Mysteries of the Rosary
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Patron Saints A-Z
Saints & Angels
Act of Contrition
Saint Feast Days in March
- Daily Readings for Sunday, March 26, 2023
- St. Margaret Clitherow: Saint of the Day for Sunday, March 26, 2023
- Prayer before Confession: Prayer of the Day for Sunday, March 26, 2023
- Daily Readings for Saturday, March 25, 2023
- St. Dismas: Saint of the Day for Saturday, March 25, 2023
- Saint Anthony, Performer of Miracles: Prayer of the Day for Saturday, March 25, 2023
Saints & Angels
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.