FREE Catholic Classes
A term having several meanings in the field of Christian antiquity.
(1) The word is applied first to the catalogue or roll of the clergy of a particular church; thus Clerici immatriculati denoted the clergy entitled to maintenance from the resources of the church to which they were attached. Allusions to matricula in this sense are found in the second and third canons of the Council of Agde and in canon 13 of the Council of Orléans (both of the sixth century).
(2) This term was also applied to the ecclesiastical list of poor pensioners who were assisted from the church revenues; hence the names matricularii, matriculariae, by which persons thus assisted, together with those who performed menial services about the church, were known.
(3) The house in which such pensioners were lodged was also known as matricula , which thus becomes synonymous with xenodochium .
Help Now >
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
St. Andrew the Apostle
Saint of the Day for Wednesday, Nov 30th, 2022
Mysteries of the Rosary
Prayer of the Day for Wednesday, Nov 30
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
7 Morning Prayers you need to get your day started with God
Daily Scripture Readings for Advent
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, November 30, 2022
- St. Andrew the Apostle: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, November 30, 2022
- Prayer for Faithful Departed: Prayer of the Day for Wednesday, November 30, 2022
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, November 29, 2022
- St. Saturninus: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, November 29, 2022
- Psalm 31 (the Second Penitential Psalm): Prayer of the Day for Tuesday, November 29, 2022
Help Now >
Help Now >
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.