Help Now >
FREE Catholic Classes
A Hebrew signifying a "young woman ", unmarried as well as married, and thus distinct from bethulah , "a virgin" (see Hebrew Lexicons ). The interest that attaches to this word is due to the famous passage of Isaiah 7:14 : "the Alma shall conceive", etc. We can only mention some of the various opinions with regard to the meaning of Alma in this verse. She is said to be
- the wife of Achaz;
- the prophetess mentioned in Isaiah 8:3 ,
- any young married woman, who on account of the promised victory of Judah, could at some near date call her child Immanuel ( God with us),
- metaphorically, the Chosen People;
- the Virgin Mother of the Messiah . This last view is the one adopted by St. Matthew 1:23 , and after him by Christian tradition. (See EMMANUEL; MESSIAS.)
- Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
- Come Holy Spirit
- Prayer to the Holy Spirit
- The Apostles' Creed
- Morning Prayer
Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.