Help Now >
Joseph-Marie de Gérando
FREE Catholic Classes
A French statesman and writer, born at Lyons, 29 February, 1772; died at Paris, 10 November, 1842. After completing his studies with the Oratorians at Lyons, he took part in the defence of the city against the beseiging armies of the French Convention. Wounded and taken prisoner, he barely escaped being put to death, and later took refuge in Switzerland and at Naples. He enlisted again in the army and was at Colmar when the French Institute announced the offer of a prize for the best essay on "The influence of signs on the formation of ideas ". Gérando sent a paper, which was awarded first honours. This was a turning-point in his life; for, having come to Paris, he was appointed to many important functions, political, administrative, and educational. In 1815, he was one of the founders of the Société pour l'instruction élémentaire, which introduced into France the monitorial system, established in England by Lancaster, and thus made education possible for the poor classes. He was a member of the state-council under Napoleon and under Louis XVIII, member of the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres, and of the Académie des Sciences morales et politiques, and officer of the Legion of Honour. In 1819, he opened a course in the faculty of law in Paris ; and, in 1837, became a member of the Chambre des Pairs. He consecrated his talent to the causes of education and charity, taking part in the foundation and administration of schools, hospitals, and charitable institutions of all kinds. His works are very numerous; among the most important must be mentioned the following.
- "Des signes et de l'art de penser considérés dans lerus rapports naturels" (Paris, 1800), a development of his prize-essay in which the author follows Condillac, but differs from him on many points;
- "De la génération des connaissances humaines" (Berlin, 1802), awarded a prize by the Academy of Sciences of Berlin;
- "Histoire comparée des systémes de philosohie considérés relativement aux principes des connaissances humaines" (Paris, 1803).
- "Du perfectionnement moral, ou de l'éeducation de soi-méme" (Paris, 1824);
- "Cours normal des instituteurs primaires" (Paris, 1832);
- "De l'éducation des sourdsmuets de naissance" (Paris, 1832);
- "Institutes du droit administratif français" (Paris, 1830).
- "Le visiteur du pauvre" (Paris, 1820);
- "De la bienfaisance publique" (Paris, 1839).
Help Now >
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Female / Women Saints
Saints & Angels
Saint of the Day for Friday, Aug 12th, 2022
The Apostles' Creed
Prayer of the Day for Friday, Aug 12
7 Morning Prayers you need to get your day started with God
- Daily Readings for Saturday, August 13, 2022
- St. Hippolytus: Saint of the Day for Saturday, August 13, 2022
- Prayer for the Forgiveness of Sins: Prayer of the Day for Saturday, August 13, 2022
- Daily Readings for Friday, August 12, 2022
- St. Michael My: Saint of the Day for Friday, August 12, 2022
- Evening Prayer #1: Prayer of the Day for Friday, August 12, 2022
By the Grace of God, with the help of Montana Ranch and Cattle, Catholic Online School has become one of the fastest-growing, online K-Adult schools in the world. The school now has over 915,000 student enrollments from 193 countries. Click to Save 25% Now >
Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.