Unions of Prayer
FREE Catholic Classes
(1) The Association of Prayer and Penitence in honour of the Heart of Jesus, founded at Dijon in 1879, transferred to Montmartre, and made an archconfraternity by Leo XIII, 10 April, 1894. Its purposes are: to offer reparation, by prayer and penitence, for sin, and for outrages against the Church and the pope ; to obtain the welfare of the Church, the freedom of the pope, and the salvation of the world.
(2) The Archconfraternity of Our Lady of Compassion for the Return of England to the Catholic Faith, founded at Saint-Sulpice, Paris, by Brief of Leo XIII "Compertum est" (22 Aug., 1897). Jean-Jacques Olier had always been zealous for the conversion of England ; and the ministry of his congregation was favourable to the spreading of this confraternity. The Brief exhorts the faithful everywhere to join this confraternity, and authorizes its directors to unite with all other similar confraternities, and communicate to them its indulgences. The "Statutes" were published, 30 Aug., 1897, by Decree of the Congregation of Bishops and Regulars. The solemn inauguration took place, 17 Oct., 1897, by the Cardinal Archbishop of Paris, in the presence of the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster. About 1000 confraternities, in France, England, Italy, Belgium, Australia, and elsewhere, have become united with the archconfraternity. By Apostolic Letter of 2 Feb., 1911, Pius X extended the scope of the prayers of the archconfraternity from Great Britain to the whole of the English-speaking world.
(3) Pious Union of Prayer to Our Lady of Compassion for the Conversion of Heretics, founded at Rome, 7 Nov., 1896, in St. Marcellus. Similar unions may be formed in any church where there is an altar and a statue of Our Lady of Compassion. The director general is the Father-General of the Servites, who names a general secretary from his order.
(4) Archconfraternity of Prayers and Good Works for the Reunion of the Eastern Schismatics with the Church under the patronage of Our Lady of the Assumption, founded at the Church of the Anastasis at Constantinople. Organized by Emmanuel d'Alzon, the founder of the Assumptionists, it was developed under his successor François Picard to such a degree that even some Eastern schismatics were induced to pray for the same intentions. Leo XIII in the Brief "Cum divini Pastoris" (25 May, 1898) made it an archconfraternity prima-primaria . It is established at the church of the Assumptionists under the title of Anastasis of Constantinople. Affiliated confraternities may be formed wherever there is an Assumptionist church and house, with the same privileges as the archconfraternity. The "Statutes" were approved 24 May, 1898, by Decree of the Congregation of Bishops and Regulars. (See also APOSTLESHIP OF PRAYER; PARIS, Famous Pilgrimages ; (2) Notre-Dame-des-Victoires.)
More Volume: U 91
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Monday, September 23, 2019
- Padre Pio overcame suffering with hope, says Italian journalist
- UK rabbi: secular humanists are 'ever-more combative' against ...
- St. Padre Pio: Saint of the Day for Monday, September 23, 2019
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, September 24th, 2019 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Monday, September 23rd, 2019 HD Video
- Spanish bishops on migrants: 'We don't love God if we don't love our ...
- Prayer Requests Live for Friday, September 20th, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 22nd, 2019 HD
- Prayer Requests Live for Wednesday, September 19th, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 21st, 2019 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
Advertise on Catholic Online
Your ads on catholic.org
Catholic Online Email
Email with Catholic feel
Learn the Catholic way
Catholic Online School
Free Catholic education for all
K-12 & Adult Education Classes
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education
Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.