Deuteronomy - Chapter 20
2 When you are about to join battle, the priest must come forward and address the people.
4 Yahweh your God is marching with you, to fight your enemies for you and make you victorious."
11 If it accepts these and opens its gates to you, all the people inside will owe you forced labour and work for you.
14 But the women, children, livestock and whatever the town contains by way of spoil, you may take for yourselves as booty. You will feed on the spoils of the enemies whom Yahweh your God has handed over to you.
15 'That is how you will treat towns far away and not belonging to the nations near you.
19 'If, when attacking a town, you have to besiege it for a long time before you capture it, you must not destroy its trees by taking the axe to them: eat their fruit but do not cut them down. Is the tree in the fields human, that you should besiege it too?
Reading 1, Acts 5:34-42: 34 One member of the Sanhedrin, however, a Pharisee called ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 27:1, 4, 13-14: 1 [Of David] Yahweh is my light and my ... Gospel, John 6:1-15: 1 After this, Jesus crossed the Sea of Galilee -- or of Tiberias-2 ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- St. Athanasius HD Video
- Pope Francis refuses bulletproof popemobile during Egyptian papal visit
- St. Peter Chanel: Saint of the Day for Friday, April 28, 2017
- St. Padre Pio appears in U.S. on 130th birthday anniversary HD Video
- Daily Readings for Friday, April 28, 2017
- Lesbian Nuns?! Hollywood director to create smut film disgracing ...
- Irish priest's healing prayers offer MIRACLES - But who is he?
- Daily Reading for Saturday, April 29th, 2017 HD
- Day 7 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Pope Francis surprises with TED Talk appearance and powerful message HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, April 28th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.