Deuteronomy - Chapter 8
1 'You must keep and put into practice all the commandments which I enjoin on you today, so that you may survive and increase in numbers and enter the country which Yahweh promised on oath to your ancestors, and make it your own.
3 He humbled you, he made you feel hunger, he fed you with manna which neither you nor your ancestors had ever known, to make you understand that human beings live not on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of Yahweh.
6 and keep the commandments of Yahweh your God, and so follow his ways and fear him.
11 'Be careful not to forget Yahweh your God, by neglecting his commandments, customs and laws which I am laying down for you today.
16 who in this waterless place brought you water out of the flinty rock; who in this desert fed you with manna unknown to your ancestors, to humble you and test you and so make your future the happier.
17 'Beware of thinking to yourself, "My own strength and the might of my own hand have given me the power to act like this."
Reading 1, Genesis 13:2, 5-18: 2 Abram was very rich in livestock, silver and gold.5 Lot, ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 15:2-3, 3-4, 5: 2 Whoever lives blamelessly, who acts ... Gospel, Matthew 7:6, 12-14: 6 'Do not give dogs what is holy; and do not throw your pearls ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- St. Cyril of Alexandria: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, June 27, 2017
- Vatican asks for the release of bishop forcibly removed from diocese
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Supreme Court sides with church in playground case
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, June 27, 2017
- Is Atheism a religion?
- Central bankers warn of looming global recession HD Video
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD
- Pope Francis prepares an incredible gift of love and solidarity for South Sudan HD