Deuteronomy - Chapter 25
5 'If brothers live together and one of them dies childless, the dead man's wife may not marry a stranger outside the family. Her husband's brother must come to her and, exercising his duty as brother, make her his wife,
6 and the first son she bears must assume the dead brother's name; by this means his name will not be obliterated from Israel.
7 But if the man declines to take his brother's wife, she must go to the elders at the gate and say, "I have no brother-in-law willing to perpetuate his brother's name in Israel; he declines to exercise his duty as brother in my favour."
8 The elders of the town must summon the man and talk to him. If, on appearing before them, he says, "I refuse to take her,"
9 then the woman to whom he owes duty as brother must go up to him in the presence of the elders, take the sandal off his foot, spit in his face, and pronounce the following words, "This is what is done to the man who refuses to restore his brother's house,"
10 and his family must henceforth be known in Israel as House of the Unshod.
19 When Yahweh your God has granted you peace from all the enemies surrounding you, in the country given you by Yahweh your God to own as your heritage, you must blot out the memory of Amalek under heaven. Do not forget.'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 145:1, 9, 10-11, 12-13
Gospel, Matthew 11:11-15
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Alveda King, niece of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., meets with Pope ...
- St. Mary Di Rosa: Saint of the Day for Friday, December 15, 2017
- The world's suffering little ones - don't forget them this Christmas
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 17th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 16th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Friday, December 15, 2017
- Pope Francis says you need to go to Mass!
- The Net Neutrality Scam: Get ready to pay a lot more for a lot less HD
- Could it be an alien spacecraft? Scientists listening today for signals from strange object HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, December 15th, 2017 HD
- Is Facebook ripping apart human civilization? HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way