Help Now >
FREE Catholic Classes
Titular see of Lycia, suffragan of Myra, formerly a large cornmercial town, opposite Rhodes. Founded perhaps by the Phoenicians, it received later a Dorian colony from Crete; a legend traces its foundation to Patarus, son of Apollo. Renowned for its wealth, it was more so for its temple of Apollo where the oracles of the god were rendered during the winter.
Ptolemy Philadelphus extended it, naming it Arsinoe. On his third missionary journey St. Paul embarked from here for Tyre ( Acts 21:1-3 ). The "Notitiæ Episcopatuum" mention it among the suffragans of Myra as late as the thirteenth century. Le Quien (Oriens christianus, I, 977) names seven bishops :
- St. Methodius, more probably Bishop of Olympus ;
- Eudemus, at Nicæa, 325;
- Eutychianus, at Seleucia, 359;
- Eudemus, at Constantinople, 381;
- Cyrinus, at Chalcedon, 451, signed the letter of the bishops of Lycia to Emperor Leo, 458;
- Licinius, at Constantinople, 536;
- Theodulus, at the Photian Council of Constantinople, 879.
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Saint of the Day for Monday, Dec 5th, 2022
Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
The Apostles' Creed
Padre Nuestro - Our Father (Lord's Prayer)
Saints A to Z: A
WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES Nanny decapitates 4-year-old and waves the head while chanting 'Allahu Akbar'
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, December 06, 2022
- St. Nicholas: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, December 06, 2022
- Everything has its Time: Prayer of the Day for Tuesday, December 06, 2022
- Daily Readings for Monday, December 05, 2022
- St. Sabas: Saint of the Day for Monday, December 05, 2022
- Infant Jesus of Prague Novena Prayer: Prayer of the Day for Monday, December 05, 2022
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.