FREE Catholic Classes
A French historian, b. in Paris, 21 Feb., 1723; d. 6 Sept., 1806. He entered the Congregation of Sainte-Geneviève when seventeen and became a priest. He taught theology and letters there; then became director of the seminary at Reims, and wrote a history of that city, his first historical work. In 1759 he became prior of the abbey of La Roee, in Anjou, and soon after was appointed director of the college of Senlis, which belonged to his order. Here he wrote his "Histoire de la Ligue." In 1766 he obtained a priory at Château-Renard and abandoned teaching. About the time of the Revolution he became curé of La Villette near Paris. During the Reign of Terror he was imprisoned for some time at Saint Lazare where he worked on his "Histoire Universelle." When released after 9 Thermidor he finished it. His last work, "Histoire de France," states in the preface that Anquetil undertook it at Napoleon's request. It reveals the weakening of his powers by old age. Augustin Thierry (Quatrieme lettre sur l'Histoire de France) calls the work "cold and colourless" and says Anquetil compares unfavourably with the French historians Mézeray, Daniel, and Velly, although he admits that he could freely grasp the manners and spirit of a past age when he studied them in their original sources. Anquetil's works are:
- "Mémoire servant de réponse pour le sieur Delaistre, libraire à Reims, contre le sieur Anquetil" (Reims, 1758);
- "Almanach de Reims" (1754);
- "Esprit de la Ligue, ou Histoire politique des troubles de la Fronde pendant le XVI et le XVII siècle" (1767, 3 vols.);
- "Vie du maréchal do Villars, écrite par lui-même," followed by "Journal de la Cour de 1724 a 1734" (1787);
- "Louis XIV, sa Cour et le Régent" (1789); "Précis de l'Histoire universelle" (1797), "Histoire de France depuis les Gaules jusqu'à la fin de la monarchie" (1805); "Notice sur la vie de M. Anquetil-Duperron." This was his brother, a notable Orientalist, his junior by eight years, who died one year before him.
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Mysteries of the Rosary
Saint of the Day for Monday, Dec 5th, 2022
The Apostles' Creed
Prayer to the Holy Spirit
Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
Stations of the Cross
Prayer of the Day for Sunday, Dec 4
- Daily Readings for Monday, December 05, 2022
- St. Sabas: Saint of the Day for Monday, December 05, 2022
- Infant Jesus of Prague Novena Prayer: Prayer of the Day for Monday, December 05, 2022
- Daily Readings for Sunday, December 04, 2022
- St. John of Damascus: Saint of the Day for Sunday, December 04, 2022
- Thanks for Family and Friends: Prayer of the Day for Sunday, December 04, 2022
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.