Help Now >
FREE Catholic Classes
(1) A short, richly ornamented staff, often made of silver, the upper part furnished with a knob or other head-piece and decorated with a coat of arms, usually borne before eminent ecclesiastical corporations, magistrates, and academic bodies as a mark and symbol of jurisdiction.
(2) More properly, the club-shaped beaten silver stick ( mazza ) carried by papal mazzieri (mace-bearers), Swiss Guards (vergers), in papal chapels, at the consecration of bishops, and by the cursores apostolici (papal messengers). When in use the mace is carried on the right shoulder, with its head upwards. Formerly cardinals had mace-bearers. Mazzieri , once called servientes armorum , or halberdiers, were the bodyguard of the pope, and mazze ( clavae, virgae ) date back at least to the twelfth century ( virgarii in chapter 40 of the Ordo of Cencius).
By the Grace of God, with the help of Montana Ranch and Cattle, Catholic Online School has become one of the fastest-growing, online K-Adult schools in the world. The school now has over 915,000 student enrollments from 193 countries. Click to Save 25% Now >
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Female / Women Saints
Saint of the Day for Wednesday, Aug 17th, 2022
Saints A to Z: A
Saints & Angels
The Apostles' Creed
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Daily Readings for Thursday, August 18, 2022
- St. Helena: Saint of the Day for Thursday, August 18, 2022
- St. Christopher's Prayer for Strength: Prayer of the Day for Thursday, August 18, 2022
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, August 17, 2022
- St. Clare of Montefalco: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, August 17, 2022
- Act of Faith: Prayer of the Day for Wednesday, August 17, 2022
FREE Catholic Classes Pick a class, you can learn anything
Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.