Giles de Coninck
FREE Catholic Classes
(Also called Regius).
Jesuit theologian, b. 20 Dec., 1571, at Bailleul in French Flanders ; d. 31 May, 1633, at Louvain. At the age of twenty-one he entered the Society of Jesus . During his course of studies at Louvain he had Lessius among his professors, and became the worthy successor of his illustrious teacher in the chair of scholastic theology, which he held for eighteen years. St. Alphonsus considers Coninck a moral theologian of distinction. Though de Lugo impugned his views on many questions, he is acknowledged to have rendered considerable services to moral theology. His style is concise, clear, and direct: on several points his writings are exhaustive. Coninck's principal works are:
- "Commentariorum ac disputationum in universam doctrinam D. Thomæ", etc. (Antwerp, 1616; enlarged and revised 1619, 1624; Lyons 1619, 1624, 1625, 1643; Rouen, 1630. The last edition was among the Jesuit works condemned to be torn and burnt by an act of parliament of Rouen, 12 Feb., 1762).
- "De Moralitate, naturâ et effectibus actuum supernaturalium". etc. (Antwerp, 1623; Lyons, 1623; Paris, 1624. The author is said to have left very ample additions intended to appear in the subsequent editions of the work. Father Müllendorff assures his readers that this treatise may be recommended to the theologians even of today).
- "Responsio ad dissertationem impugnantem absolutionem moribundi sensibus destituti", etc. (Antwerp, 1625):
- Disputationes theolgicæ" (Antwerp, 1645, published posthumously, though finished twelve years before the author's death).
Help Now >
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Saints & Angels
St. Paul Miki
Saint of the Day for Monday, Feb 6th, 2023
Mysteries of the Rosary
Saints A to Z: A
Female / Women Saints
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, February 07, 2023
- St. Moses: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, February 07, 2023
- Prayer to Saint Joseph : Prayer of the Day for Tuesday, February 07, 2023
- Daily Readings for Monday, February 06, 2023
- St. Paul Miki: Saint of the Day for Monday, February 06, 2023
- Morning Offering: Prayer of the Day for Monday, February 06, 2023
Help Now >
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.