Help Now >
FREE Catholic Classes
( Or Amma.)
A Semitic term meaning mother, adopted by the Copts and the Greeks as a title of honour applied to religious and ladies of high rank. In Coptic inscriptions, according to Leclercq, it is given to both of these categories of personages. The Greeks seem to have used it generally in the same sense as the Latin abbatissa or abbess.
(2) Ama (amula). A vessel in which the wine offered by the people for the Holy Sacrifice was received ( Ordo Rom. 21:13). Pope Adrian I (772-795) presented to the Church of St. Adrian ama una (Liber Pont. I, 510).
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Mysteries of the Rosary
Saint of the Day for Wednesday, Nov 30th, 2022
Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
Saint Feast Days in Dec
Saints & Angels
The Apostles' Creed
Female / Women Saints
- Daily Readings for Thursday, December 01, 2022
- St. Eligius: Saint of the Day for Thursday, December 01, 2022
- Advent Wreath Prayer: Prayer of the Day for Thursday, December 01, 2022
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, November 30, 2022
- St. Andrew the Apostle: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, November 30, 2022
- Prayer for Faithful Departed: Prayer of the Day for Wednesday, November 30, 2022
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.