FREE Catholic Classes
( Alias Lacey).
Controversialist (pen-name Clerophilus Alethes), b. in Lincolnshire, 10 November, 1676 or 1678; d. 28 March, 1743. In 1695 he entered the Society of Jesus. For many years he served the Fitzherbert family at Swinnerton, where he is buried. Constable's chief controversial opponents were:
- the Abbé Courayer (1681-1776; Dict. Nat. Biog. XII, 328) who championed Anglican orders, came over to England in 1728, was lionized, and eventually buried in the cloisters of Westminster ; and
- Charles Dodd vere Hugh Tootell , who wrote with a prejudice against Jesuits.
- "Remarks on Courayer's Book in Defense of English Ordinations, wherein their invalidity is fully proved ", an answer to Courayer's "Dissertations" of 1723;
- "The Stratagem Discovered to show that Courayer writes 'Booty', and is only a sham defender of these ordinations", by "Clerophilus Alethes" (8vo, 1729), against Rev. Trapp's "Defense of the Church of England ";
- "Doctrine of Antiquity concerning the Eucharist" by "Clerophilus Alethes" (8vo, 1736);
- "Specimen of Amendments proposed to the Complier of 'The Church History of England' ", by "Clerophilus Alethes" (12mo, 1741);
- "Advice to the Author of 'The Church History of England' ", manuscript at Stonyhurst.
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Saint of the Day for Saturday, Jan 28th, 2023
St. Thomas Aquinas
Female / Women Saints
Patron Saints A-Z
Saints & Angels
Saints A to Z: A
- Daily Readings for Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Sts. Sarbelius & Barbea: Saint of the Day for Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Prayer for the Sick: Prayer of the Day for Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Daily Readings for Saturday, January 28, 2023
- St. Thomas Aquinas: Saint of the Day for Saturday, January 28, 2023
- Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas: Prayer of the Day for Saturday, January 28, 2023
Help Now >
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.