FREE Catholic Classes
A tribe of Cahita stock, formerly dwelling near the Rio Yaqui, and now dispersed throughout Sonora in Mexico. It is the only Indian tribe that has been in constant contact with the white race and has not been entirely subdued. They are first mentioned by Guzmán in his description of the expedition in 1531. In 1610 they made a treaty with the Spaniards and Catholic missions were at once started among them. They were then expert agriculturists, and manufactured cotton goods. They attacked the Spaniards in 1740, owing to the settlers interfering with their missionaries, and since then have frequently rebelled, the latest rising being in 1901. In 1907 the Mexican Government made an attempt to weaken the power of the hostile element by deporting several thousand Yaqui to Yucatán and Tehuantepec. The tribe now numbers about 23,000.
The native dwellings, some of which are still used, were generally constructed of adobe and reeds, with flat roof of grass and clay. Many of the Yaqui now labour in the Sonora mines; others manufacture palm leaf hats and mats and reed baskets. There are no secret societies and little organization in the tribe. Formerly they were accustomed to exchange wives, but now most of the Yaqui have been converted to Catholicism.
More Volume: Y 20
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- Appeals court: House not required to accept 'secular prayer' at start ...
- St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, April 24, ...
- Prayer Requests Live for Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019 HD Video
- Pope Francis gifts 6,000 rosaries, asks for prayers on name day
- National Catholic Prayer Breakfast hears call for 'Catholic great ...
- Daily Reading for Thursday, April 25th, 2019 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, April 24, 2019
- One simple fact to prove the power of the Rosary
- NEW QUESTIONS! Here's the answers to our Bible Trivia quiz!
- 5 Things You Need To Know About 'Offering A Mass' For A Loved One
- Pope Francis: The resurrection is the most shocking event in human ...
- A Serial Killer's Last Words: The hidden motive behind Ted Bundy's ...
- Prayer Requests Live for Monday, April 22nd, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, April 24th, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, April 22nd, 2019 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
Advertise on Catholic Online
Your ads on catholic.org
Catholic Online Email
Email with Catholic feel
Learn the Catholic way
Catholic Online School
Free Catholic education for all
K-12 & Adult Education Classes
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education
Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.