1 Samuel - Chapter 13
1 Samuel Chapters
2 Saul selected three thousand men of Israel; two thousand of them were with Saul at Michmash and in the highlands of Bethel, and one thousand with Jonathan at Geba of Benjamin; the rest of the people Saul sent home, everyone to his tent.
4 and all Israel heard the news, 'Saul has killed the Philistine governor, and now Israel has antagonised the Philistines.' So all the people rallied behind Saul at Gilgal.
5 The Philistines mustered to make war on Israel, three thousand chariots, six thousand horse and a force as numerous as the sand on the seashore. They came up and pitched camp at Michmash, to the east of Beth-Aven.
6 When the Israelites saw that their plight was desperate, being so hard pressed, the people hid in caves, in holes, in crevices, in vaults, in wells.
10 Just as he had finished presenting the burnt offering, Samuel arrived, and Saul went out to meet and greet him.
12 So I thought: Now the Philistines are going to fall on me at Gilgal and I have not implored the favour of Yahweh. So I felt obliged to make the burnt offering myself.'
15 Samuel then got up and left Gilgal to continue his journey. Those people remaining followed Saul as he went to join the warriors, and went from Gilgal to Geba of Benjamin. Saul reviewed the force that was with him; there were about six hundred men.
19 There was not a single blacksmith throughout the territory of Israel, the Philistines' reasoning being, 'We do not want the Hebrews making swords or spears.'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 57:2, 3-4, 6, 11
Gospel, Mark 3:13-19
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Why are the youth leaving the Church?
- Jobless claims are down - what does that mean for workers? HD Video
- Jobless claims historic low! - Why workers are getting raises this ...
- St. Fillan: Saint of the Day for Friday, January 19, 2018
- Pope Francis: Faith is an adventure!
- Daily Readings for Friday, January 19, 2018
- Daily Reading for Saturday, January 20th, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Friday, January 19th, 2018 HD
- North and South Korea agree to march together at the Olympics with first ever joint team HD
- CDC: Swine flu joining killer influenza outbreak, expected to become more severe HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, January 18th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education