1 Samuel - Chapter 8
1 Samuel Chapters
1 When Samuel grew old, he appointed his sons as judges of Israel.
7 But Yahweh said to Samuel, 'Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you: it is not you they have rejected
8 but me, not wishing me to reign over them any more. They are now doing to you exactly what they have done to me since the day I brought them out of Egypt until now, deserting me and serving other gods.
9 So, do what they ask; only, you must give them a solemn warning, and must tell them what the king who is to reign over them will do.'
10 Everything that Yahweh had said, Samuel then repeated to the people who were asking him for a king.
13 He will take your daughters as perfumers, cooks and bakers.
14 He will take the best of your fields, your vineyards and your olive groves and give them to his officials.
15 He will tithe your crops and vineyards to provide for his courtiers and his officials.
16 He will take the best of your servants, men and women, of your oxen and your donkeys, and make them work for him.
Reading 1, Acts 4:23-31: 23 As soon as they were released they went to the community and ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 2:1-3, 4-6, 7-9: 1 Why this uproar among the nations, this ... Gospel, John 3:1-8: 1 There was one of the Pharisees called Nicodemus, a leader of the ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Michigan doctors charged in America's first genital mutilation case - ...
- Daily Readings for Monday, April 24, 2017
- Day 2 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD Video
- Ron Howard and Henry Winkler mourn the loss of 'Happy Days' costar ...
- Day 3 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD Video
- St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen: Saint of the Day for Monday, April 24, 2017
- All The Earth Will Sing Your Praises
- Day 1 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, April 24th, 2017 HD
- Intro to the Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.