1 Samuel - Chapter 8
1 Samuel Chapters
1 When Samuel grew old, he appointed his sons as judges of Israel.
7 But Yahweh said to Samuel, 'Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you: it is not you they have rejected
8 but me, not wishing me to reign over them any more. They are now doing to you exactly what they have done to me since the day I brought them out of Egypt until now, deserting me and serving other gods.
9 So, do what they ask; only, you must give them a solemn warning, and must tell them what the king who is to reign over them will do.'
10 Everything that Yahweh had said, Samuel then repeated to the people who were asking him for a king.
13 He will take your daughters as perfumers, cooks and bakers.
14 He will take the best of your fields, your vineyards and your olive groves and give them to his officials.
15 He will tithe your crops and vineyards to provide for his courtiers and his officials.
16 He will take the best of your servants, men and women, of your oxen and your donkeys, and make them work for him.
Reading 1, Deuteronomy 4:1, 5-9: 1 'And now, Israel, listen to the laws and customs which ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 147:12-13, 15-16, 19-20: 12 Praise Yahweh, Jerusalem, Zion, ... Gospel, Matthew 5:17-19: 17 'Do not imagine that I have come to abolish the Law or the ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis defends millennials, but warns them about too much ...
- Adorable girl captured stealing Pope Francis' hat in hilarious ...
- Daily Readings for Thursday, March 23, 2017
- St. Toribio Alfonso de Mogrovejo: Saint of the Day for Thursday, ...
- Daily Reading for Friday, March 24th, 2017 HD Video
- 'Living Lent': Thursday of the Third Week of Lent - Day 23
- ISIS deploys child soldiers to keep Christians from returning to Mosul
- Supreme court nominee faces tough questions on religious freedom during confirmation hearings HD
- Christ's tomb reveals surprise after restoration HD
- Peruvian woman miraculously survives deadly mudslide HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, March 23rd, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.