1 Samuel - Chapter 8
1 Samuel Chapters
1 When Samuel grew old, he appointed his sons as judges of Israel.
7 But Yahweh said to Samuel, 'Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you: it is not you they have rejected
8 but me, not wishing me to reign over them any more. They are now doing to you exactly what they have done to me since the day I brought them out of Egypt until now, deserting me and serving other gods.
9 So, do what they ask; only, you must give them a solemn warning, and must tell them what the king who is to reign over them will do.'
10 Everything that Yahweh had said, Samuel then repeated to the people who were asking him for a king.
13 He will take your daughters as perfumers, cooks and bakers.
14 He will take the best of your fields, your vineyards and your olive groves and give them to his officials.
15 He will tithe your crops and vineyards to provide for his courtiers and his officials.
16 He will take the best of your servants, men and women, of your oxen and your donkeys, and make them work for him.
Reading 1, Song of Songs 3:1-4,: 1 On my bed at night I sought the man who is my ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 63:2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9: 2 Thus I have gazed on you in the ... Gospel, John 20:1-2, 11-18: 1 It was very early on the first day of the week and still ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Video captures moment killer quake strikes in Greece
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD Video
- Vatican says report on abuse in Germany shows progress in fight ...
- Daily Readings for Saturday, July 22, 2017
- Many Blessings! Family celebrates 100 children
- St. Mary Magdalene: Saint of the Day for Saturday, July 22, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, July 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 HD
- Deadbeat Republicans, do your job or GET OUT! HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 HD