1 Samuel - Chapter 23
1 Samuel Chapters
1 News was then brought to David, 'The Philistines are besieging Keilah and plundering the threshing-floors'.
5 So David and his men went to Keilah and fought the Philistines and carried off their cattle and inflicted a great defeat on them. Thus David saved the inhabitants of Keilah.
7 When word was brought to Saul that David had gone to Keilah he said, 'God has delivered him into my power: he has trapped himself by going into a town with gates and bars.'
13 At this, David made off with his men, about six hundred in number; they left Keilah and went where they could. When Saul was told that David had escaped from Keilah, he abandoned the expedition.
16 Jonathan son of Saul set off and went to David at Horesh and encouraged him in the name of God.
18 And the two made a pact before Yahweh. David stayed at Horesh and Jonathan went home.
19 Some men from Ziph then went up to Saul at Gibeah and said, 'Look, David is hiding among us in the strongholds at Horesh, on the Hill of Hachilah to the south of the wastelands.
20 Now whenever you wish to go down, my lord king, do so; we shall make it our task to hand him over to the king.'
21 Saul replied, 'May you be blessed by Yahweh for sympathising with me.
23 Take careful note of all the hiding places where he lurks, and come back to me when you are certain. I shall then come with you and, if he is in the country, I shall track him down through every clan in Judah!'
24 Setting off they went to Ziph ahead of Saul. Meanwhile, David and his men were in the desert of Maon, in the plain to the south of the wastelands.
26 Saul and his men proceeded along one side of the mountain, David and his men along the other. David was hurrying to escape from Saul, while Saul and his men were trying to cross over to David and his men's side, to capture them,
28 So Saul broke off his pursuit of David and went to oppose the Philistines. That is why the place is called the Gorge of Separations.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 105:2-3, 36-37, 42-43
Gospel, Luke 18:1-8
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- St. Rose Philippine Duchesne: Saint of the Day for Saturday, November ...
- The FBI may investigate Planned Parenthood
- Has Pope Francis violated the 8th Commandment, speaking out against ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, November 21st, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Saturday, November 18, 2017
- Pope Francis calls for end of life care to acknowledge mortality
- Daily Reading for Monday, November 20th, 2017 HD Video
- The Catholic Miracle. Become part of our incredible mission HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, November 19th, 2017 HD
- Did Pope Francis blast 'perverse attitude' of climate change deniers? HD
- Scientists warn: The end of life as we know it is near HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way