Help Now >
FREE Catholic Classes
(Or Chastelain), a Burgundian chronicler, born in the County of Alost, Flanders, in 1403; died at Valenciennes in 1475. He studied at Louvain, and, after a few years in the army, travelled in England and France. He next entered the service of Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy, whose successor, Charles the Bold, coming to Valenciennes in 1473, to hold a chapter of the Golden Fleece, conferred upon him the honour of knighthood, with the title of Indiciarius of the order.
Chastellain's more important works include
- "Chronique des choses de mon temps," a history of the years 1417-74, of which only fragments remain, continued after Chastellain's death, by his disciple, Jean Molinet. It was first edited by Buchon in "Les chroniques nationales" (1827) and re-edited by Kervyn de Lettenhove (8 vols., Brussels, 1863-67).
- "Récollections des merveilles advenues en mon temps" (Antwerp, 1505).
- "Chronique de Messire Jean de Lalaing," a delightful biography.
Help Now >
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Saints & Angels
Saint of the Day for Saturday, Jan 28th, 2023
Female / Women Saints
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
St. Thomas Aquinas
Patron Saints A-Z
Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
- Daily Readings for Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Sts. Sarbelius & Barbea: Saint of the Day for Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Prayer for the Sick: Prayer of the Day for Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Daily Readings for Saturday, January 28, 2023
- St. Thomas Aquinas: Saint of the Day for Saturday, January 28, 2023
- Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas: Prayer of the Day for Saturday, January 28, 2023
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.