Raimundo Diosdado Caballero
FREE Catholic Classes
Miscellaneous writer, chiefly ecclesiastical, born at Palma, in the island of Majorca, 19 June 1740; died at Rome, either 16 January 1830, or 28 April 1829. He entered the Society of Jesus 15 November, 1752, held the chair of literature in the Jesuit College at Madrid for several years, and was deported with the other Jesuits to Italy when the Society was suppressed in the Spanish dominions. In his new home Father Caballero developed a varied literary activity. The following are the most important of his works:
- "De Primá typographiae hispanicae aetate specimen" (Rome, 1793);
- "Commentariola critica, primum de discipliná arcani, secundum de linguá evangelicá" (Rome, 1798). The author corrects in this work what he considers to be the mistakes of Schelstrate and Hardouin, and proves that the native tongue of Christ and the Apostles was Syriac, not Greek, as Dominicus Diodati (d. 1801) had maintained in his "De Christo loquente exercitatio" (Naples, 1767).
- "Bibliothecae Scriptorum Societatis Jesu supplementa. Supplementum primum" (Rome, 1814), "Supplementum primum" (Rome, 1814), "Supplementum alterum" (Rome, 1816);
- Father Caballero shows his Scriptural knowledge in his "Tetraglotton D. Marei Evangelium, et Marcologia critica"; "El Evangelio de S. Marcos escrito en latin, griego y hebreo, con los tres alfabetos".
Not to mention several historical works, we may add here his writings on American subjects: "Observaciones americanas, y supplemento critico á la historia de México"; "Medios para estrechar más la union entre espanoles americanos y europeos"; "Consideraciones americanas".
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Saints & Angels
Saint of the Day for Saturday, Jan 28th, 2023
Female / Women Saints
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
St. Thomas Aquinas
Patron Saints A-Z
Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
- Daily Readings for Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Sts. Sarbelius & Barbea: Saint of the Day for Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Prayer for the Sick: Prayer of the Day for Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Daily Readings for Saturday, January 28, 2023
- St. Thomas Aquinas: Saint of the Day for Saturday, January 28, 2023
- Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas: Prayer of the Day for Saturday, January 28, 2023
Help Now >
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.