2 Chronicles - Chapter 26
2 Chronicles Chapters
3 Uzziah was sixteen years old when he came to the throne and he reigned for fifty-two years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Jecoliah of Jerusalem.
10 He built towers in the desert too, and dug many storage-wells, for he had large herds in the lowlands and on the tableland, and farmers and vine dressers in the hills and fertile lands: for he loved the land.
11 Uzziah had a trained army ready to go on campaign, organised in companies manned as detailed by the scribe Jeiel and the staff-officer Maaseiah, and commanded by Hananiah one of the king's generals.
15 He also erected expertly contrived devices for the towers and angles of Jerusalem from which to shoot arrows and drop large stones. His fame spread far and wide, for he was miraculously helped to become strong.
18 confronting King Uzziah, they said to him, 'Uzziah, you are not allowed to burn incense to Yahweh; only the Aaronite priests consecrated for the purpose may burn incense. Leave the sanctuary, for you have been unfaithful and will have no honour from Yahweh God.'
19 Uzziah, censer in hand to burn incense, flew into a rage. But while he was raging at the priests, a virulent skin-disease broke out on his forehead in the presence of the priests, in the Temple of Yahweh, there by the altar of incense.
20 When Azariah the chief priest and all the other priests turned towards him, there was skin-disease on his forehead and they hurried him outside, and he himself was equally anxious to get out, because Yahweh had struck him.
21 King Uzziah was afflicted with skin-disease till his dying day. Because of this, he lived confined to his room and was excluded from the Temple of Yahweh, while Jotham his son, who was master of the palace, governed the people of the country.
23 Then Uzziah fell asleep with his ancestors and was buried with them in the field beside the burial ground of the kings since, it was reasoned, he was afflicted with virulent skin-disease. His son Jotham then succeeded him.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 19:2-3, 4-5
Gospel, Matthew 9:9-13
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- St. Matthew: Saint of the Day for Thursday, September 21, 2017
- Daily Readings for Thursday, September 21, 2017
- Is the Virgin Mary appearing in a small Bavarian village? A thousand ...
- Hurricane Maria scours Puerto Rico, will be months before electricity ...
- Zaccheus and that Sycamore Tree Teach Us How to Live by Faith
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD Video
- Terrifying earthquake collapses buildings in Mexico City, hundreds ...
- Daily Reading for Friday, September 22nd, 2017 HD
- Officials warn, 'evacuate or die' as Maria churns towards Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, September 21st, 2017 HD
- Another priest rescued from ISIS! Philippine Army rescues 'Fr. Chito' HD