2 Chronicles - Chapter 12
2 Chronicles Chapters
1 When Rehoboam had consolidated the kingdom and become strong, he, and all Israel with him, abandoned the Law of Yahweh;
2 and thus it happened that in the fifth year of King Rehoboam, Shishak king of Egypt marched on Jerusalem, because they had been unfaithful to Yahweh,
3 with twelve hundred chariots and sixty thousand cavalry and countless hordes of Libyans, Sukkiim and Cushites who came from Egypt with him.
5 The prophet Shemaiah then came to Rehoboam and the generals of Judah, who had fallen back on Jerusalem before Shishak's advance, and said to them, 'Yahweh says this, "You have abandoned me and so I have abandoned you into Shishak's clutches." '
7 When Yahweh saw that they had humbled themselves, the word of Yahweh came to Shemaiah as follows, 'They have humbled themselves. I shall not destroy them but shall grant them some degree of deliverance. My retribution will not be poured out on Jerusalem by means of Shishak;
8 they are nonetheless to become his slaves, so that they may learn the difference between serving me and serving kings of other countries.'
9 So Shishak king of Egypt advanced on Jerusalem and carried off the treasures of the Temple and the treasures of the royal palace. He took everything away, including the golden shields which Solomon had made.
11 Whenever the king went to the Temple of Yahweh, the guards would come out carrying them, returning them to the guardroom afterwards.
13 Thus he was able to strengthen his position in Jerusalem and continue as king; for Rehoboam was forty-one years old when he came to the throne and remained king for seventeen years in Jerusalem, the city chosen by Yahweh from all the tribes of Israel to put his name there. His mother's name was Naamah the Ammonite.
15 The history of Rehoboam, from first to last, is this not all written down in the records of Shemaiah the prophet and of Iddo the seer? Warfare between Rehoboam and Jeroboam went on throughout the period.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 89:20, 21-22, 27-28
Gospel, Mark 2:23-28
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, January 17, 2018
- St. Anthony the Abbot: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, January 17, 2018
- Now more than 215 million persecuted Christians worldwide
- Daily Reading for Thursday, January 18th, 2018 HD Video
- Here's why the 2018 flu season is so bad - Doctors plead: stay home ...
- CDC: Swine flu joining killer influenza outbreak, expected to become ...
- Eminem speaks about his experience with abortion
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, January 17th, 2018 HD
- Twitter Ban: Censorship on "a way of talking" -- does that include Christian speech? HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, January 16th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 15th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way