2 Kings - Chapter 21
2 Kings Chapters
1 Manasseh was twelve years old when he came to the throne and he reigned for fifty-five years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Hephzibah.
2 He did what is displeasing to Yahweh, copying the disgusting practices of the nations whom Yahweh had dispossessed for the Israelites.
3 He rebuilt the high places which his father Hezekiah had destroyed, he set up altars to Baal and made a sacred pole as Ahab king of Israel had done, he worshipped the whole array of heaven and served it.
6 He caused his son to pass through the fire of sacrifice, he also practised soothsaying and divination and set up mediums and spirit guides. He did very many more things displeasing to Yahweh, thus provoking his anger.
7 He had an image of Asherah carved and placed it inside the Temple of which Yahweh had said to David and his son Solomon, 'In this Temple and in Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, I shall put my Name for ever.
8 Nor shall I ever again set Israel's footsteps wandering outside the country which I gave to their ancestors, provided they are careful to observe all I have commanded them as laid down in the whole Law which my servant Moses prescribed for them.'
9 But they would not listen, and Manasseh misled them into doing worse things than the nations whom Yahweh had destroyed for the Israelites.
10 Then Yahweh spoke through his servants the prophets as follows,
11 'Since Manasseh king of Judah has done these shameful deeds, doing more wicked deeds than anything which the Amorites did before him, and has led Judah too into sin with his idols,
13 Over Jerusalem I shall stretch the same measuring line as over Samaria, the same plumb-rule as for the House of Ahab; I shall scour Jerusalem as someone scours a dish and, having scoured it, turns it upside down.
17 The rest of the history of Manasseh, his entire career, the sins he committed, is this not recorded in the Book of the Annals of the Kings of Judah?
22 He abandoned Yahweh, God of his ancestors; he did not follow the way of Yahweh.
25 The rest of the history of Amon, his entire career, is this not recorded in the Book of the Annals of the Kings of Judah?
26 He was buried in his father's tomb in the Garden of Uzza; his son Josiah succeeded him.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 19:2-3, 4-5
Gospel, Matthew 9:9-13
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- St. Thomas of Villanueva: Saint of the Day for Friday, September 22, 2017
- We have unmasked the, foul-mouthed, liberal hypocrite Lawrence ...
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD Video
- With so many earthquakes, is California next?
- Daily Readings for Friday, September 22, 2017
- Pope Francis asks the intercession of Our Lady of Guadalupe following ...
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD Video
- hail holy queen
- saint elizabeth
- saint paul
- saint christopher
- st mary
- nicene creed
- our lady of guadalupe
- saint francis of assisi
- young children
- Saint Nicole
- st. michael
- saint francis
- st nicholas
- all saints day
- list of saints
- st anne
- st christopher
- Terrifying earthquake collapses buildings in Mexico City, hundreds dead HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, September 22nd, 2017 HD
- Officials warn, 'evacuate or die' as Maria churns towards Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, September 21st, 2017 HD