Joshua - Chapter 4
2 'Choose twelve men from the people, one man from each tribe, and give them this order,
4 Joshua called the twelve men whom he had selected from the Israelites, one man from each tribe,
6 to make this a sign among you; and when, in the future, your children ask you, "What do these stones mean for you?"
7 you will then tell them, "The waters of the Jordan separated before the ark of the covenant of Yahweh; when it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the river separated. These stones are an everlasting reminder of this to the Israelites."
8 The Israelites did as Joshua ordered; they took twelve stones from mid-Jordan corresponding to the number of the tribes of Israel, as Yahweh had told Joshua; they carried them over to the camp and set them down there.
9 Joshua then erected twelve stones in mid-Jordan, on the spot where the feet of the priests carrying the ark of the covenant had stood; and they are still there today.
10 The priests carrying the ark stood still in mid-Jordan, until everything had been done that Yahweh had ordered Joshua to tell the people (in accordance with everything that Moses had ordered Joshua); and the people hurried across.
11 When the people had finished crossing, the ark of Yahweh then crossed, with the priests, to the head of the people.
17 And Joshua gave the order to the priests, 'Come up, out of the Jordan!'
18 Now, when the priests carrying the ark of the covenant of Yahweh came up out of mid-Jordan, no sooner had the soles of the priests' feet touched solid ground, than the waters of the Jordan returned to their bed and ran on, in spate as before.
19 It was the tenth day of the first month when the people came up from the Jordan and made their camp at Gilgal, on the eastern border of Jericho.
20 As regards those twelve stones, which they had taken from the Jordan, Joshua set them up at Gilgal.
21 He then said to the Israelites, 'When, in the future, your children ask their fathers, "What are these stones?"
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 85:9-10, 11-12, 13-14
Gospel, Mark 1:1-8
Reading 2, Second Peter 3:8-14
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Here's how Pope Francis wants to change the Lords Prayer HD Video
- After 100 years of construction, the largest Catholic church in ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Saint Damasus I: Saint of the Day for Monday, December 11, 2017
- Prepare for the Lord: Advent is a time to prepare our hearts for the ...
- Daily Readings for Monday, December 11, 2017
- Vatican concerned over President Trump's decision in Israel
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 11th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 10th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 9th, 2017 HD
- 200,000 people evacuated as California burns HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way