Joshua - Chapter 20
2 'Speak to the Israelites and say to them, "Choose yourselves the cities of refuge of which I spoke to you through Moses,
3 to which anyone who has accidentally (unintentionally) killed someone else may flee, and which will serve you as refuge from the avenger of blood.
4 (The killer must flee to one of these towns. He will stop at the entrance to the town gate and explain his case to the town elders. These will admit him to their town and assign him a place to live among them.
5 If the avenger of blood pursues him, they must not hand the killer over to him, since he has killed his fellow unintentionally and was not motivated by long-standing hatred for him.
6 He must stay in this town) until he is brought to trial before the community (until the death of the high priest then in office. Only then may the killer go back to his own town and to his own house in the town from which he has fled)."
7 For this purpose they designated Kedesh in Galilee, in the highlands of Naphtali, Shechem in the highlands of Ephraim, and Kiriath-Arba -- now Hebron -- in the highlands of Judah.
8 On the other, eastern, side of the Jordan opposite Jericho, in the desert of the tableland, they chose Bezer of the tribe of Reuben, Ramoth in Gilead of the tribe of Gad, and Golan in Bashan of the tribe of Manasseh.
9 Such were the towns designated for all the Israelites and for foreigners living among them, so that anyone who had accidentally killed someone could flee there and might escape the hand of the avenger of blood, until brought to trial before the community.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 32:1-2, 5, 11
Gospel, Luke 12:1-7
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 HD Video
- Evil George Soros transfers $18 billion to support abortion, destroy ...
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, October 25th, 2017 HD Video
- St. Paul of the Cross: Saint of the Day for Friday, October 20, 2017
- Daily Readings for Friday, October 20, 2017
- Will Europe return to its Christian roots?
- Profit For The Common Good
- Daily Reading for Monday, October 23rd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, October 22nd, 2017 HD
- Prisoners use lunch with Pope Francis to escape HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, October 21st, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way