Leviticus - Chapter 27
1 Yahweh spoke to Moses and said:
5 "between five and twenty years, a boy will be valued at twenty shekels, a girl at ten shekels;
6 "between one month and five years, a boy will be valued at five silver shekels, a girl at three silver shekels;
8 "If the person who made the vow cannot meet this valuation, he will present the person concerned to the priest, and the priest will set a value proportionate to the resources of the person who made the vow.
11 In the case of an unclean animal unsuitable for offering to Yahweh, whatever it may be, it will be presented to the priest
17 "If he consecrates the field during the jubilee year, he will abide by this valuation.
22 "If he consecrates to Yahweh a field which he has bought, but which is not part of his ancestral property,
27 But if it is an unclean animal, it may be redeemed at the valuation price with one-fifth added; if the animal is not redeemed, it will be sold at the valuation price.
28 "Nothing, however, that someone vows unconditionally to Yahweh may be redeemed, nothing he possesses, be it a human being or animal or field of his ancestral property. What is vowed unconditionally is especially holy and belongs to Yahweh.
29 A human being vowed unconditionally cannot be redeemed but will be put to death.
30 "All tithes on land, levied on the produce of the soil or on the fruit of trees, belong to Yahweh; they are consecrated to Yahweh.
31 If anyone wishes to redeem part of his tithe, he will add one-fifth to its value.
Reading 1, Judges 6:11-24: 11 The Angel of Yahweh came and sat under the terebinth at ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 85:9, 11-12, 13-14: 9 His saving help is near for those who ... Gospel, Matthew 19:23-30: 23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'In truth I tell you, it is ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- 'A Sign of the Times': A warning against 'expelling incoming ...
- Does the Aug 21 eclipse spell doom for humanity? HD Video
- Does the Aug 21 eclipse fulful a biblical prophecy? Here's when the ...
- Daily Reading for Thursday, August 24th, 2017 HD Video
- St. Andrew the Scot: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- President Trump announces new strategy for Afghanistan - do we get to ...
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian waters HD
- Jerry Lewis passes away at 91, was most proud of his family HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 HD
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug on her life support HD