Wisdom - Chapter 11
2 They journeyed through an unpeopled desert and pitched their tents in inaccessible places.
7 to punish them for their decree of infanticide, you gave your people, against all hope, water in abundance,
9 From their own ordeals, which were only loving correction, they realised how an angry sentence was tormenting the godless;
12 For a double sorrow seized on them, and a groaning at the memory of the past;
14 while for the man whom long before they had exposed and later mockingly rebuffed, they felt only admiration when all was done, having suffered a thirst so different from that of the upright.
16 and to teach them that the agent of sin is the agent of punishment.
Reading 1, Sirach 35:1-12: 1 One who keeps the Law multiplies offerings; one who follows ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 50:5-6, 7-8, 14, 23: 5 'Gather to me my faithful, who sealed my ... Gospel, Mark 10:28-31: 28 Peter took this up. 'Look,' he said to him, 'we have left ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Priest shares Living Rosary on Mardi Gras to bring people back to God
- Who do YOU answer to? Californians prepare safe houses for illegal ...
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, February 28, 2017
- St. Hilary, Pope: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, February 28, 2017
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 HD Video
- Here are the answers to the Ash Wednesday quiz. How did you do?
- Oarfish strandings in Philippines could mean massive quake coming HD ...
- Pope Francis makes history by celebrating Christ alongside an Anglican Bishop HD
- St. Dominic Savio HD
- Clinton contributor makes revealing 'life insurance' video over fear of assassination HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.