Wisdom - Chapter 11
2 They journeyed through an unpeopled desert and pitched their tents in inaccessible places.
7 to punish them for their decree of infanticide, you gave your people, against all hope, water in abundance,
9 From their own ordeals, which were only loving correction, they realised how an angry sentence was tormenting the godless;
12 For a double sorrow seized on them, and a groaning at the memory of the past;
14 while for the man whom long before they had exposed and later mockingly rebuffed, they felt only admiration when all was done, having suffered a thirst so different from that of the upright.
16 and to teach them that the agent of sin is the agent of punishment.
Reading 1, Acts 12:1-11: 1 It was about this time that King Herod started persecuting ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9: 2 I will praise Yahweh from my heart; ... Gospel, Matthew 16:13-19: 13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi he put ... Reading ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Mafia responds to Pope Francis' suggestion they be excommunicated HD ...
- Pope Francis appoints five new cardinals
- All governments must work harder to stop human trafficking
- St. Peter: Saint of the Day for Thursday, June 29, 2017
- Cardinal Pell accused of 'historic sex offenses' looks forward to ...
- Daily Readings for Thursday, June 29, 2017
- Daily Reading for Friday, June 30th, 2017 HD Video
- Mafia responds to Pope Francis' suggestion they be excommunicated HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, June 29th, 2017 HD
- Terrorists using Christians as sex slaves and human shields in the Philippines HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 HD