Wisdom - Chapter 17
2 While the wicked supposed they had a holy nation in their power, they themselves lay prisoners of the dark, in the fetters of long night, confined under their own roofs, banished from eternal providence.
3 While they thought to remain unnoticed with their secret sins, curtained by dark forgetfulness, they were scattered in fearful dismay, terrified by apparitions.
11 Wickedness is confessedly very cowardly, and it condemns itself; under pressure from conscience it always assumes the worst.
13 the less you rely within yourself on this, the more alarming it is not to know the cause of your suffering.
Reading 1, Ezekiel 47:1-9, 12: 1 He brought me back to the entrance of the Temple, where a ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 46:2-3, 5-6, 8-9: 2 so we shall not be afraid though the earth ... Gospel, John 5:1-3, 5-16: 1 After this there was a Jewish festival, and Jesus went up to ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, March 28, 2017
- Cause of California's drought is revealed HD Video
- 'Living Lent': Wednesday of the Fourth Week of Lent - Day 29
- Mo Brooks submits no-nonsense bill to repeal Obamacare
- St. Venturino of Bergamo: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, March 28, 2017
- Pope Francis' important message for children HD Video
- Tesla Model 3 may fall short of forecasts, but it will still change ...
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 HD
- Supermassive black hole discovered surfing gravitational wave HD
- Catholic Archdiocese of Mexico calls out 'traitor' Mexicans HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, March 26th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.