Wisdom - Chapter 18
4 But well those others deserved to be deprived of light and imprisoned in darkness, for they had kept in captivity your children, by whom the incorruptible light of the Law was to be given to the world.
5 As they had resolved to kill the infants of the holy ones, and as of those exposed only one child had been saved, you punished them by carrying off their horde of children and by destroying them all in the wild water.
9 So the holy children of the good offered sacrifice in secret and with one accord enacted this holy law: that the holy ones should share good things and dangers alike; and forthwith they chanted the hymns of the ancestors.
10 In echo came the discordant cries of their enemies, and the pitiful wails of people mourning for their children could be heard from far away.
14 When peaceful silence lay over all, and night had run the half of her swift course,
15 down from the heavens, from the royal throne, leapt your all-powerful Word like a pitiless warrior into the heart of a land doomed to destruction. Carrying your unambiguous command like a sharp sword,
16 it stood, and filled the universe with death; though standing on the earth, it touched the sky.
17 Immediately, dreams and gruesome visions overwhelmed them with terror, unexpected fears assailed them.
21 for a blameless man hurried to their defence. Wielding the weapons of his sacred office, prayer and expiating incense, he confronted Retribution and put an end to the plague, thus showing that he was your servant.
22 He overcame Hostility, not by physical strength, nor by force of arms; but by word he prevailed over the Punisher, by recalling the oaths made to the Fathers, and the covenants.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 57:2, 3-4, 6, 11
Gospel, Mark 3:13-19
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- St. Fabian: Saint of the Day for Saturday, January 20, 2018
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 22nd, 2018 HD Video
- Science is transforming the pro-life debate for the better HD Video
- Most Americans want abortion restricted, if not outlawed
- Cardinal Dolan asks the faithful to pray against 'powers of darkness' ...
- 5 Things You Need To Know About 'Offering A Mass' For A Loved One
- Daily Readings for Saturday, January 20, 2018
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, January 21st, 2018 HD
- Jobless claims are down - what does that mean for workers? HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, January 20th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education