Wisdom - Chapter 15
1 But you, our God, are kind and true, slow to anger, governing the universe with mercy.
2 Even if we sin, we are yours, since we acknowledge your power, but we will not sin, knowing we count as yours.
5 the sight of which sets fools yearning and hankering for the lifeless form of an unbreathing image.
6 Lovers of evil and worthy of such hopes are those who make them, those who want them and those who worship them.
7 Take a potter, now, laboriously working the soft earth, shaping each object for us to use. Out of the self-same clay, he models vessels intended for a noble use and those for a contrary purpose, all alike: but which of these two uses each will have is for the potter himself to decide.
8 Then -- ill -- spent effort!-from the same clay he models a futile god, although so recently made out of earth himself and shortly to return to what he was taken from, when asked to give back the soul that has been lent to him.
9 Even so, he does not worry about having to die or about the shortness of his life, but strives to outdo the goldsmiths and silversmiths, imitates the bronzeworkers, and prides himself on modelling counterfeits.
11 For he has misconceived the One who has modelled him, who breathed an active soul into him and inspired a living spirit.
14 But most foolish, more pitiable even than the soul of a little child, are the enemies who once played the tyrant with your people,
15 and have taken all the idols of the heathen for gods; these can use neither their eyes for seeing nor their nostrils for breathing the air nor their ears for hearing nor the fingers on their hands for handling nor their feet for walking.
17 subject to death, his impious hands can produce only something dead. He himself is worthier than the things he worships; he will at least have lived, but never they.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 24:7, 8, 9, 10
Gospel, Mark 3:31-35
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Thursday, January 25th, 2018 HD Video
- St. Francis de Sales: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, January 24, 2018
- The government shutdown continues, but bombs still drop, surveillance ...
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, January 24, 2018
- Is God sending a warning? Third megaquake in the year suggests 2018 ...
- Third Mega-quake in three weeks suggests 2018 will be a bad year for ...
- Pope Francis in Peru invites us to be saints
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, January 24th, 2018 HD
- The shocking numbers that reveal why poverty is here to stay HD
- Science is transforming the pro-life debate for the better HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 22nd, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education