Wisdom - Chapter 16
3 Thus the Egyptians, at the repulsive sight of the creatures sent against them, were to find that, though they longed for food, they had lost their natural appetite; whereas your own people, after a short privation, were to have a rare relish for their portion.
13 Yes, you are the one with power over life and death, bringing to the gates of Hades and back again.
20 How differently with your people! You gave them the food of angels, from heaven untiringly providing them bread already prepared, containing every delight, to satisfy every taste.
21 And the substance you gave showed your sweetness towards your children, for, conforming to the taste of whoever ate it, it transformed itself into what each eater wished.
23 whereas, on the other hand, it would even forget its own strength in the service of feeding the upright.
29 whereas the hope of the ungrateful melts like winter frost and flows away like water running to waste.
Reading 1, Deuteronomy 7:6-11: 6 For you are a people consecrated to Yahweh your God; of ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 103:1-2, 3-4, 6-7, 8, 10: 1 [Of David] Bless Yahweh, my soul, ... Gospel, Matthew 11:25-30: 25 At that time Jesus exclaimed, 'I bless you, Father, Lord of ... ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Friday, June 23, 2017
- St. Joseph Cafasso: Saint of the Day for Friday, June 23, 2017
- How a Catholic should deal with Tinder and other dating apps
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD Video
- 'Half-Man-Half-Beast sent by the Devil' sparks fear in South African ...
- The end of the farm as we know it has arrived - here's how we're ...
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis prepares an incredible gift of love and solidarity for South Sudan HD
- St. Emma HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, June 24th, 2017 HD
- North Korea's secret strategy revealed HD