Wisdom - Chapter 16
3 Thus the Egyptians, at the repulsive sight of the creatures sent against them, were to find that, though they longed for food, they had lost their natural appetite; whereas your own people, after a short privation, were to have a rare relish for their portion.
13 Yes, you are the one with power over life and death, bringing to the gates of Hades and back again.
20 How differently with your people! You gave them the food of angels, from heaven untiringly providing them bread already prepared, containing every delight, to satisfy every taste.
21 And the substance you gave showed your sweetness towards your children, for, conforming to the taste of whoever ate it, it transformed itself into what each eater wished.
23 whereas, on the other hand, it would even forget its own strength in the service of feeding the upright.
29 whereas the hope of the ungrateful melts like winter frost and flows away like water running to waste.
Reading 1, Judges 2:11-19: 11 The Israelites then did what is evil in Yahweh's eyes and ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 106:34-35, 36-37, 39-40, 43, 44: 34 They did not destroy the ... Gospel, Matthew 19:16-22: 16 And now a man came to him and asked, 'Master, what good deed ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Monday, August 21, 2017
- Jerry Lewis passes away at 91, was most proud of his family HD Video
- Statue of St. Serra vandalized, are Christian crosses next?
- 'Annabelle: Creation': Catholic Exorcist discusses power of hit ...
- 'A Sign of the Times': A warning against 'expelling incoming ...
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian ...
- St. Pius X: Saint of the Day for Monday, August 21, 2017
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 HD
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug on her life support HD
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD