ANY SURPRISE? United States fails to make Top 20 lists when it comes to healthy diets
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
1/17/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The Netherlands is the best place in the world to eat, according to new research. People in the African nation of Chad are the worst off when it comes to their food consumption. The United States - with little surprise, with our reliance on processed foods came in at 21 for most healthy diets. Our friends across the pond in the United Kingdom made it at 13.
A lot of American food isn't good for you -- but it tastes good!
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - A new report compiled by Oxfam saw researchers look at the food consumption in 125 countries. Among the variable studied was whether people have enough to eat, whether people can afford to eat, whether the food available is of good quality and the extent of diet related diseases.
The Netherlands was found to be the best place in the world to eat, followed by France and Switzerland. The Netherlands won the top spot because as it has comparatively low food prices, low diabetes levels and better nutritional diversity than its European rivals.
Also in the top 12 were Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg and Portugal.
It must be noted that these countries did not score well in all categories. The Netherlands has high levels of obesity with almost one in five of its population with a body mass index of more than 30. The healthy level is 18 to 25. Australia has the highest obesity levels as 27 per cent - more than one in four of Australians are obese.
Chad is shown to be the worst place to eat as the food is of little nutritional value, it is expensive and it prepared with limited access to hygienic conditions. One in three children in Chad is also underweight.
Joining Chad at the bottom of the table are Ethiopia and Angola. The rest of the bottom 10 ranking nations are comprised of sub-Saharan African countries and Yemen.
In these lowest-ranked countries, diets are dominated by nutrient-poor cereals, roots and root vegetables.
The U.S. was found to have the most affordable food in the world while Angola has the least affordable. Quality of food is highest in Iceland and it is lowest in Madagascar. The highest rate of diabetes is in Saudi Arabia and the country with the greatest obesity problem is Kuwait.
Overall, the Top 10 best Countries To Eat In was:
1. The Netherlands
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD Video
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD Video
- St. Helena: Saint of the Day for Friday, August 18, 2017
- Mother shares heartbreaking photo of her dying daughter as she pulls ...
- Daily Readings for Friday, August 18, 2017
- Sen. Bob Corker joins ranks of seditious who want to overthrow a ...
- Pope Francis calls for prayers following terror attacks in Spain, Finland
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 21st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 20th, 2017 HD
- Charlie Gard's mother opens up about the beautiful life of terminally ill Charlie HD
- Article V could be invoked. Here's what you need to know about it HD