Skip to content
Deacon Keith Fournier Hi readers, it seems you use Catholic Online a lot; that's great! It's a little awkward to ask, but we need your help. If you have already donated, we sincerely thank you. We're not salespeople, but we depend on donations averaging $14.76 and fewer than 1% of readers give. If you donate just $5.00, the price of your coffee, Catholic Online School could keep thriving. Thank you. Help Now >

Militant Muslims abduct more than 100 schoolgirls at gunpoint

Free World Class Education
FREE Catholic Classes

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
4/16/2014 (5 years ago)
Catholic Online (https://www.catholic.org)

Boko Haram being blamed for Nigerian kidnapping

Over a hundred female students have been abducted by gunmen at a government secondary school in Chibok, Nigeria. The mass kidnapping is believed to have been carried out by members of Boko Haram, a militant Islamic group that is believed to have killed 75 people in a bus bombing in the country's capital the day previously.

The kidnappings took place after midnight in Chibok in the Borno state, which is a longtime stronghold for Boko Haram.

The kidnappings took place after midnight in Chibok in the Borno state, which is a longtime stronghold for Boko Haram.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Catholic Online (https://www.catholic.org)
4/16/2014 (5 years ago)

Published in Africa

Keywords: Nigeria, Boko Haram, abduction


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - "Over 100 female students in our government secondary school at Chibok have been abducted," teacher Audu Musa says. Teaching at another school nearby, she added that the people responsible re believed to be Boko Haram. The group has previously attacked schools in the region.

The kidnappings took place after midnight in Chibok in the Borno state, which is a longtime stronghold for Boko Haram.

Check out our fine selection of Bibles -- by going here!

Gunmen had also killed a soldier and police officer guarding the school, then took off with at least 100 students. Some of the teens managed to escape from the back of an open truck, officials said.

A local government official said he did not know how many of the girls have escaped but that "many" have walked through the bushes and back to Chibok. The abducted girls were piled into the back of an open truck. While the bus was traveling, some grabbed at low-hanging branches to swing off while others jumped off the slow-moving vehicle, he said.

Boko Haram is responsible for the deaths of thousands of Nigerians over the past several years. Though their early attacks targeted security services, politicians and other high-profile individuals, the assaults have quickly spread to United Nations buildings, churches, schools and civilians.

Boko Haram had taken control of large swathes of the northern Borno state in 2013, the report said. The report was by the International Crisis Group, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing and resolving conflict.

While the Nigerian government's military response coupled with civilian militia groups briefly debilitated the movement, kidnappings, forced conscription and recruiting of criminals bolstered their ranks.

Attacks by Boko Haram increased during the first three months in 2014 - with almost daily bombings of schools, homes and businesses.

In Borno state, the armed group has destroyed over 882 classrooms. In nearby Yobe state, all schools were shut from June to September 2013. It added that on March 6, 2014, the federal government closed five colleges in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states, ordering their estimated 10,000 students to relocate. 

A massive explosion at a busy bus station in the capital, Abuja earlier this week killed scores of people. Authorities raised the death toll Tuesday to 75 dead, and that number is expected to grow.

---


'Help Give every Student and Teacher FREE resources for a world-class Moral Catholic Education'


Copyright 2019 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK


Comments


More Africa

Burkina Faso bishop: As violence continues, 'nobody is listening' Watch

Image of Burkina Faso Flag

Following the death of more than a dozen Christians in a church shooting over the weekend, a Burkina Faso bishop said Western governments ... continue reading


In West Africa, Church leaders meet to discuss humanitarian crisis Watch

Image of Soldier from Burkina

Bishops and Catholic leaders from West Africa concluded a two-day meeting last week by reaffirming their commitment to work for an end to ... continue reading



Statement of 11 nations opposes 'reproductive rights' focus of Nairobi Summit Watch

Image of

On the sidelines of the Nairobi Summit, the US and 10 other nations delivered a joint statement Thursday indicating their commitment to ... continue reading


Nigerian priest abducted and released, officials increase security measures Watch

Image of Fr. Madu

The vice-rector of a seminary in Nigeria was kidnapped earlier this week and released two days later, the latest in the ongoing violence ... continue reading


Brazilian bishop: Yes, Amazon people can understand celibacy Watch

Image of Retired Bishop Dom Luis Azcona

A retired bishop from Brazil has spoken out against the claim that married priests are necessary in the Amazon region because the ... continue reading


Never Miss any Updates!

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers.

Catholic Online Logo

Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.

Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.