Help Now >
10 foods you thought were vegetarian but aren't
FREE Catholic Classes
Whether you are a vegetarian or not, you definitely need to find out the different products, ingredients and other stuff found in the food that you eat. Consider looking into your favorite fruits, vegetables, brand of cereals and candies; you will be surprised to find that they contain certain ingredients that you would not expect. In fact, you would be shocked to discover that a good number of foods contain animal products - which makes them unfavorable for vegans and vegetarians.
MUNTINLUPA, PHILIPPINES (Catholic Online) - Given all our health considerations and precautions about what we eat, we should be aware of several foods that secretly contain animal products or by-products. Here's a quick run-down:
1. Foods that are usually dyed in red contain a natural dye known as carmine. These are derived from beetles which have been crushed.
2. Frosted Wheat Cereals usually use beef gelatin from cow bones. This is used to glue the shreds of wheat together.
3. Miso soup may contain bonito flakes or made with a fish based dashi stock. Unless it is specified that it is vegetarian or vegan, then they are most often than not, animal based.
4. Parmesan cheese is usually made using rennet or the inner linings of the cows' stomachs.
5. Stout beers are commonly produced with fish bladder to filter the product.
6. Non-organic fruits and vegetables are sprayed with fertilizers and pesticides that contain animal products.
7. Worcestershire Sauce is made from anchovies. Vegans and vegetarians should make sure that they purchase vegan friendly Worcestershire sauce.
8. Processed or packaged orange juice is not as harmless as most people think; they are known to contain omega-3 from fish oils.
9. Frozen pastry and pie crusts are, unless specified as vegetarian or vegan, usually made with lard. And this type of fat comes from pig fat.
10. Pesto is made with either Romano or Grana Padano cheeses, which are made using the stomach linings of cows.
Copyright 2021 - Distributed by Catholic Online
FREE Catholic Classes Pick a class, you can learn anything
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Saint of the Day for Saturday, June 25th, 2022
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Prayer of the Day for Saturday, June 25
The Apostles' Creed
St. William of Vercelli
Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
A Guide for Confession
Saint Feast Days in June
- Daily Readings for Sunday, June 26, 2022
- St. Anthelm: Saint of the Day for Sunday, June 26, 2022
- Blessed Mother: Prayer of the Day for Sunday, June 26, 2022
- Daily Readings for Saturday, June 25, 2022
- St. William of Vercelli: Saint of the Day for Saturday, June 25, 2022
- The Apostles' Creed: Prayer of the Day for Saturday, June 25, 2022
Help Now >
Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.