Not Again! Barilla pasta under fire after anti-gay remarks
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
9/26/2013 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
An Italian pasta maker is giving a lot of people another reason to buy his products. The chairman of Barilla pasta took a stand for traditional family values saying he would never feature a "homosexual family" in his advertising.
Homosexuals are angry because Barilla will not let them hijack the brand as a battleground for their movement.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - In the age of political correctness, Barilla's comments are sure to invite a firestorm of controversy. However, similar to the Chick-fil-A controversy he may also see an outgrowth of support from people who are weary of the militant same-sex lobby insisting on being constantly featured in the public spotlight.
During an interview with an Italian radio station, Guido Barilla told listeners "I would never do (a commercial) with a homosexual family, not for lack of respect but because we don't agree with them. Ours is a classic family where the woman plays a fundamental role."
Barilla, 55, is the chairman of the Barilla pasta company which sells its products in stores around the world, including in the United States.
His comments sparked an immediate backlash with same-sex attracted lobbies calling for a boycott of his pasta products.
Yet, Barilla has a long history of providing quality pasta products and its advertising is a significant part of its brand. That advertising almost always depicts a traditional family living in the Italian countryside.
Barilla also has the right to choose its brand image.
Despite this obvious fact, the homosexual equivalency movement is up in arms because they cannot hijack the Barilla brand for their message.
The Barilla company has issued a statement of apology for the remarks, but defended their position that a man and a woman each play a central role in the family.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JULY 2017
Lapsed Christians. That our brothers and sisters who have strayed from the faith, through our prayer and witness to the Gospel, may rediscover the merciful closeness of the Lord and the beauty of the Christian life.
by Catholic Online
- Will We Use Our Ears To Hear?
- Scientists discover elusive 'Angel Particles' are real
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, July 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis is set for something big, but what is it? HD Video
- St. James the Greater: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, July 25, 2017
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, July 25, 2017
- Oh no! Is El Nino coming back to California?
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat of ISIS HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, July 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 HD