Pope Francis says he will retire
By Marshall Connolly (Catholic Online)
5/15/2018 (1 week ago)
Catholic Online (https://www.catholic.org)
Pope Francis spoke about when it will be time for him to retire during his homily on Tuesday. The statement may be the most direct announcement yet that he will someday retire. Pope Francis has previously hinted at his retirement.
Pope Francis, like Pope Emeritus Benedict, will retire from the papacy.
LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) - Pope Francis made a surprising statement during a homily on St. Paul on Tuesday. The Pope mentioned that St. Paul had to decide when to leave his flock of Christians to the care of others. Pope Francis then talked about the right time to "take leave" of his flock, alluding to his possible retirement.
Pope Francis explained that all bishops must make a decision as to when to take leave of their flock. He said of himself, "When I read this, I think about myself because I'm a bishop and I'll have to take my leave."
Pope Francis is 81, and he was elected at age 76. He has served in the Chair of St. Peter for five years. He has previously suggested that his papacy would not be a long one.
Pope Francis has previously spoke about the resignation of Pope Emeritus Benedict whose resignation "opened a door" to the possibility of other popes retiring.
While Tuesday's homily is the most recent and definitive statement yet of Pope Francis' intentions, it is not a retirement announcement. Pope Francis is still a bit young by papal standards and he appears to be energetic and in good health. However, before his health fails him and age takes its final toll, we should expect that Pope Francis, in all his humility, will retire.
Copyright 2018 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for APRIL 2018
For those who have Responsibility in Economic Matters. That economists may have the courage to reject any economy of exclusion and know how to open new paths.
by Catholic Online
- St. Augustine of Canterbury: Saint of the Day for Sunday, May 27, 2018
- New rules for Colorado Civil Rights board after SCOTUS bakery case
- Daily Readings for Sunday, May 27, 2018
- Daily Reading for Monday, May 28th, 2018 HD Video
- Commit yourself to ending war this Memorial Day
- Another victory for life! California court rejects assisted suicide ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, May 29th, 2018 HD Video
- American websites blocking Europeans over new data laws HD
- Living Words with Deacon Keith Fournier - 'The Word Became Flesh' John 1:1-14 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, May 27th, 2018 HD
- An Ebola outbreak has reached a major city, hereĂ˘Â€Â™s why that matters HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education