Did Pope Francis just refer to the Virgin Mary as a 'couch potato?!'
Pope Francis used the term "couch potato" while speaking about the Virgin Mary. Why did he say something like that?
Did Pope Francis call the Virgin Mary a couch potato?
LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) -- Pope Francis spoke to millennials during a talk in March preparing for the World youth Day celebrations in Panama, 2019. In the talk he mentioned the Virgin Mary and explained she "encourages us with her faith."
Pope Francis referred to her as the "Mighty One," and credited her for the great things she has done.
So why did he mention the phrase "couch potato" when speaking of her?
It turns out, he was referring to her life of service. Specifically, he mentioned when she chose to remain with Elizabeth, who was pregnant with Christ's cousin, John the Baptist.
Mary, he said, "set off to visit her cousin Elizabeth who was old and needed her to be close by. Mary did not stay home because she was not a young couch potato who look for comfort and safety where nobody can bother them. She was moved by faith because faith is at the heart of Our Mother's entire life story."
In other words, Pope Francis was speaking to millennials, challenging them to go out, motivated by their faith, to show love to others.
"You can improve the world and leave an imprint that makes a mark on history, your history and that of many others," Pope Francis said.
Pope Francis also told the youth that the Church needs them and their enthusiasm, saying their efforts can create a "less cruel, more human world."
Finally, Pope Francis suggested people speak to Mary like a mother, and that it is okay to cultivate a spirit of familiarity and friendship with Our Lady. Speak to her, he said, "as you would to a mother."
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JUNE 2017
National Leaders. That national leaders may firmly commit themselves to ending the arms trade, which victimizes so many innocent people.
by Catholic Online
- What if an asteroid strikes near you? HD Video
- St. Thomas More: Saint of the Day for Thursday, June 22, 2017
- 'Budgets are moral documents'
- Astronomers close in on Planet X that could be responsible for ...
- Daily Readings for Thursday, June 22, 2017
- North Korea's secret strategy slips out, and WHY they are developing ...
- Daily Reading for Friday, June 23rd, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Thursday, June 22nd, 2017 HD
- Killer supervolcano under Yellowstone stirs as 500 earthquakes hit park HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 HD
- US and Russia one accident away from war in Syria HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.