Why is this 14-foot statue of Our Lady underwater?
FREE Catholic Classes
A video of a statue of Our Lady, protecting a coral reef in the Philippines has gone viral. Perhaps the most curious thing about the statue is that it is situated underwater.
Since the statue was placed, dynamite fishing has stopped.
LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) -- Off the coast of the Bohol province in the Philippines, is a 14-foot statue of the Virgin Mary, situated underwater. To visit the statue requires scuba gear. Divers visit the statue regularly to honor Our Lady.
The beautiful statue was placed on the reef to stop dynamite fishing by locals. The dynamite destroys the reef and kills sea life indiscriminately. Fishermen harvest only the fish they want, and leave the rest to decay.
This practice is traditional, but it is also destructive and arguably inconsistent with our mission to serve as stewards of the planet. The statue of Our Lady protects the reef, providing sanctuary for all live, both human and animal.
As we marvel at Our Lady, we need to pray for the well being of the fishermen who rely on the waters for their livelihood. We pray they enjoy abundance. We also pray for the preservation of the reef and the land upon which they depend for survival. May the people and nature coexist in harmony. May God provide for all.
May we be reminded by Our Lady that we are stewards of God's creation. Our dominion over the land and see does not mean we are entitled to strip nature bare. Instead, we are obligated to care for both, and to use the harvest we are given from God for the benefit of all our brothers and sisters.
Copyright 2019 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for January 2019
Young People and the Example of Mary. That young people, especially in Latin America, follow the example of Mary and respond to the call of the Lord to communicate the joy of the Gospel to the world.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Monday, February 18, 2019
- Esta es la primera imagen de la Virgen Maria que llego a Mexico hace ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, February 18th, 2019 HD Video
- St. Simon: Saint of the Day for Monday, February 18, 2019
- Liturgy is not 'styles, recipes, trends,' pope tells Divine Worship ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 19th, 2019 HD Video
- Ordenan por primera vez sacerdote a miembro de una tribu de Indonesia
- Catholic Online School - Deacon Keith's Personal Message to All Catholics HD
- Prayer Requests Live for Friday, February 15th, 2019
- Daily Reading for Sunday, February 17th, 2019 HD
- Prayer Requests Live for Thursday, February 14th, 2019
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education