Why is this 14-foot statue of Our Lady underwater?
A video of a statue of Our Lady, protecting a coral reef in the Philippines has gone viral. Perhaps the most curious thing about the statue is that it is situated underwater.
Since the statue was placed, dynamite fishing has stopped.
LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) -- Off the coast of the Bohol province in the Philippines, is a 14-foot statue of the Virgin Mary, situated underwater. To visit the statue requires scuba gear. Divers visit the statue regularly to honor Our Lady.
The beautiful statue was placed on the reef to stop dynamite fishing by locals. The dynamite destroys the reef and kills sea life indiscriminately. Fishermen harvest only the fish they want, and leave the rest to decay.
This practice is traditional, but it is also destructive and arguably inconsistent with our mission to serve as stewards of the planet. The statue of Our Lady protects the reef, providing sanctuary for all live, both human and animal.
As we marvel at Our Lady, we need to pray for the well being of the fishermen who rely on the waters for their livelihood. We pray they enjoy abundance. We also pray for the preservation of the reef and the land upon which they depend for survival. May the people and nature coexist in harmony. May God provide for all.
May we be reminded by Our Lady that we are stewards of God's creation. Our dominion over the land and see does not mean we are entitled to strip nature bare. Instead, we are obligated to care for both, and to use the harvest we are given from God for the benefit of all our brothers and sisters.
Copyright 2018 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for APRIL 2018
For those who have Responsibility in Economic Matters. That economists may have the courage to reject any economy of exclusion and know how to open new paths.
by Catholic Online
- The Catholic Church's Role with Refugees in the U.S.
- Daily Readings for Sunday, June 24, 2018
- St. Thomas More and St. John Fisher: Catholic Martyrs
- Pope Francis: Take in refugees, invest in poor countries
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 26th, 2018 HD Video
- St. John the Baptist: Saint of the Day for Sunday, June 24, 2018
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 25th, 2018 HD Video
- Pope Francis has a plan to help refugees, and halt the tide of immigration HD
- Living the Catholic Way: The Church HD
- Living Words with Deacon Kieth Fournier - The Apostle Paul's Second Letter to the Corinthians HD
- Living Words with Deacon Keith Fournier - The Apostle Paul's words to the Galatians HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education