Conscientious objectors bill passes Mexican senate
3/27/2018 (4 months ago)
Catholic Online (https://www.catholic.org)
The Mexican Senate has approved a measure protecting the conscientious objections of medical personnel who hold moral or ethical objections to certain treatments.
Mexico City, Mexico (ACI Prensa) - The decree, approved March 22, states that "professionals, technicians, aides, social service providers that are part of the National Healthcare System shall be able to invoke the right of conscientious objection and excuse themselves from participating and/or cooperating in all those programs, activities, practices, treatments, methods or research that contravenes their freedom of conscience based on their values or ethical principles."
Critics of the legislation have threatened to challenge it in court, saying that it violates a woman's right to choose abortion.
Abortion is legal in Mexico City up to 12 weeks of pregnancy, although it is illegal in much of the country.
The legislation does not allow medical professionals to invoke conscientious objection "when the life of the patient is put at risk or it is a medical emergency."
Representative Norma Edith MartĂnez GuzmĂˇn first introduced the measure in October 2017. After its passage in the House of Representatives, it went on to the Senate where it passed 53-15, with one abstention.
The decree has been sent to the executive branch to be signed into law, and within 90 days, the guidelines for its application must be issued.
Copyright 2018 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for July 2018
Priests and their Pastoral Ministry. That priests, who experience fatigue and loneliness in their pastoral work, may find help and comfort in their intimacy with the Lord and in their friendship with their brother priests.
Researchers in the UK may have discovered a cure for pancreatic cancer, at least in mice. The cure shows promise for humans and trials ... continue reading
Vaccines, a cornerstone of modern medicine, are being regarded with skepticism by a growing segment of the population. There are fears that ... continue reading
La reorganizacion gubernamental entorpece los servicios de salud esenciales para los argentinos con discapacidad Watch
En el Centro de Dia, un centro administrado por la Fundacion IPNA, una organizacion sin animo de lucro local, algunas personas se reunen en ... continue reading
At Centro de Dia, a center run by local nonprofit Fundacion IPNA, people gather in a dining hall. The day has just started, and breakfast ... continue reading
When Maggie* was in high school, she stayed after class to talk to ask a teacher what to do about a very personal concern she felt her ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Sunday, August 19, 2018
- Praying for Peace at the Pentagon
- Cardinal Burke: We face a grave crisis, touching the heart of the Church
- St. John Eudes: Saint of the Day for Sunday, August 19, 2018
- Dinesh D' Souza Nails it in Death of a Nation
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 20th, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 21st, 2018 HD Video
- Catholic Church issues new guidelines for cremation. Here's what you ...
- Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!
- Here are 10 Very Interesting Facts About the Catholic Church You ...
- A very brief history of priestly celibacy in the Catholic Church
- Science reveals Jesus' blood type, but is it a hoax, a coincidence, ...
- Prayer Requests Live for Friday, August 17th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 19th, 2018 HD
- Prayer Requests Live for Thursday, August 16th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, August 18th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education