Ecclesiastes - Chapter 7
1 Better a good name than costly oil, the day of death than the day of birth.
8 Better the end of a matter than its beginning, better patience than ambition.
11 Wisdom is as good as a legacy, profitable to those who enjoy the light of the sun.
13 Consider God's creation: who, for instance, can straighten what God has bent?
14 When things are going well, enjoy yourself, and when they are going badly, consider this: God has designed the one no less than the other so that we should take nothing for granted.
18 It is wise to hold on to one and not let go of the other, since the godfearing will find both.
20 No one on earth is sufficiently upright to do good without ever sinning.
21 Again, do not listen to all that people say, then you will not hear your servant abusing you.
Reading 1, Isaiah 49:14-15: 14 Zion was saying, 'Yahweh has abandoned me, the Lord has ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 62:2-3, 6-7, 8-9: 2 he alone is my rock, my safety, my ... Gospel, Matthew 6:24-34: 24 'No one can be the slave of two masters: he will either hate ... Reading 2, ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Christians warn against witches 'binding spell' of U.S. President ...
- Daily Readings for Sunday, February 26, 2017
- 92-year-old woman blessed with gift to help newborns
- Your Daily Inspirational Meme: Thank you, Lord, for always being ...
- St. Isabel of France: Saint of the Day for Sunday, February 26, 2017
- Clinton contributor makes revealing 'life insurance' video over fear ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, February 27th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, February 26th, 2017 HD
- Urgent action necessary for 5.5 million people starving in South Sudan HD
- Trump dumps Obama's transgender restroom policy HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.