Ecclesiastes - Chapter 2
1 I thought to myself, 'Very well, I will try pleasure and see what enjoyment has to offer.' And this was futile too.
3 I decided to hand my body over to drinking wine, my mind still guiding me in wisdom; I resolved to embrace folly, to discover the best way for people to spend their days under the sun.
8 I amassed silver and gold, the treasures of kings and provinces; acquired singers, men and women, and every human luxury, chest upon chest of it.
11 I then reflected on all that my hands had achieved and all the effort I had put into its achieving. What futility it all was, what chasing after the wind! There is nothing to be gained under the sun.
13 More is to be gained from wisdom than from folly, just as one gains more from light than from darkness; this, of course, I see:
14 The wise have their eyes open, the fool walks in the dark. No doubt! But I know, too, that one fate awaits them both.
15 'Since the fool's fate', I thought to myself, 'will be my fate too, what is the point of my having been wise?' I realised that this too is futile.
20 I have come to despair of all the efforts I have expended under the sun.
24 There is no happiness except in eating and drinking, and in enjoying one's achievements; and I see that this too comes from God's hand;
26 Wisdom, knowledge and joy, God gives to those who please him, but on the sinner he lays the task of gathering and storing up for someone else who is pleasing to him. This too is futility and chasing after the wind.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 105:2-3, 36-37, 42-43
Gospel, Luke 18:1-8
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Has Pope Francis violated the 8th Commandment, speaking out against ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, November 21st, 2017 HD Video
- The FBI may investigate Planned Parenthood
- Daily Reading for Monday, November 20th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis calls for end of life care to acknowledge mortality
- St. Rose Philippine Duchesne: Saint of the Day for Saturday, November ...
- Daily Readings for Saturday, November 18, 2017
- The Catholic Miracle. Become part of our incredible mission HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, November 19th, 2017 HD
- Did Pope Francis blast 'perverse attitude' of climate change deniers? HD
- Scientists warn: The end of life as we know it is near HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way