Ecclesiastes - Chapter 2
1 I thought to myself, 'Very well, I will try pleasure and see what enjoyment has to offer.' And this was futile too.
3 I decided to hand my body over to drinking wine, my mind still guiding me in wisdom; I resolved to embrace folly, to discover the best way for people to spend their days under the sun.
8 I amassed silver and gold, the treasures of kings and provinces; acquired singers, men and women, and every human luxury, chest upon chest of it.
11 I then reflected on all that my hands had achieved and all the effort I had put into its achieving. What futility it all was, what chasing after the wind! There is nothing to be gained under the sun.
13 More is to be gained from wisdom than from folly, just as one gains more from light than from darkness; this, of course, I see:
14 The wise have their eyes open, the fool walks in the dark. No doubt! But I know, too, that one fate awaits them both.
15 'Since the fool's fate', I thought to myself, 'will be my fate too, what is the point of my having been wise?' I realised that this too is futile.
20 I have come to despair of all the efforts I have expended under the sun.
24 There is no happiness except in eating and drinking, and in enjoying one's achievements; and I see that this too comes from God's hand;
26 Wisdom, knowledge and joy, God gives to those who please him, but on the sinner he lays the task of gathering and storing up for someone else who is pleasing to him. This too is futility and chasing after the wind.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 80:2-3, 5-7
Gospel, Mark 3:20-21
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Cardinal Dolan asks the faithful to pray against 'powers of darkness' ...
- St. Fabian: Saint of the Day for Saturday, January 20, 2018
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 22nd, 2018 HD Video
- Most Americans want abortion restricted, if not outlawed
- 5 Things You Need To Know About 'Offering A Mass' For A Loved One
- Science is transforming the pro-life debate for the better HD Video
- Daily Readings for Saturday, January 20, 2018
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, January 21st, 2018 HD
- Jobless claims are down - what does that mean for workers? HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, January 20th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education