Ecclesiastes - Chapter 5
1 Be in no hurry to speak; do not hastily declare yourself before God; for God is in heaven, you on earth. Be sparing, then, of speech:
3 If you make a vow to God, discharge it without delay, for God has no love for fools. Discharge your vow.
5 Do not allow your mouth to make a sinner of you, and do not say to the messenger that it was a mistake. Why give God occasion to be angry with you and ruin all the work that you have done?
7 If in a province you see the poor oppressed, fair judgement and justice violated, do not be surprised, for over every official there watches a higher official, and over these, higher officials still.
11 The labourer's sleep is sweet, whether he has eaten little or much, but the surfeit of the rich will not let him sleep at all.
14 Naked from his mother's womb he came; as naked as he came will he depart; not one of his achievements can he take with him.
18 And whenever God gives someone riches and property, with the ability to enjoy them and to find contentment in work, this is a gift from God.
Reading 1, Second Corinthians 4:7-15: 7 But we hold this treasure in pots of earthenware, ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 126:1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 6: 1 [Song of Ascents] When Yahweh brought ... Gospel, Matthew 20:20-28: 20 Then the mother of Zebedee's sons came with her sons to make ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- One year later, is Fr. Jacques Hamel a saint?
- Chinese government says it will keep a firm grip on Catholic Church
- Sts. Joachim and Anne: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, July 26, 2017
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, July 26, 2017
- Daily Reading for Thursday, July 27th, 2017 HD Video
- Do you have what it takes to become a Catholic celebrity?
- Shut off? What happened to the Vatican water supply! HD Video
- Pope Francis is set for something big, but what is it? HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, July 26th, 2017 HD
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat of ISIS HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD