Ecclesiastes - Chapter 5
1 Be in no hurry to speak; do not hastily declare yourself before God; for God is in heaven, you on earth. Be sparing, then, of speech:
3 If you make a vow to God, discharge it without delay, for God has no love for fools. Discharge your vow.
5 Do not allow your mouth to make a sinner of you, and do not say to the messenger that it was a mistake. Why give God occasion to be angry with you and ruin all the work that you have done?
7 If in a province you see the poor oppressed, fair judgement and justice violated, do not be surprised, for over every official there watches a higher official, and over these, higher officials still.
11 The labourer's sleep is sweet, whether he has eaten little or much, but the surfeit of the rich will not let him sleep at all.
14 Naked from his mother's womb he came; as naked as he came will he depart; not one of his achievements can he take with him.
18 And whenever God gives someone riches and property, with the ability to enjoy them and to find contentment in work, this is a gift from God.
Reading 1, Isaiah 65:17-21: 17 For look, I am going to create new heavens and a new earth, ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 30:2, 4, 5-6, 11-13: 2 Yahweh, my God, I cried to you for help ... Gospel, John 4:43-54: 43 When the two days were over Jesus left for Galilee.44 He himself ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, March 28, 2017
- St. Venturino of Bergamo: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, March 28, 2017
- 'Living Lent': Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Lent - Day 28
- Supermassive black hole discovered surfing gravitational wave HD Video
- Catholic Archdiocese of Mexico calls out 'traitor' Mexicans HD Video
- What warning did Pope Francis deliver to all Christians?
- Why were police forced to fire tear gas outside an Indonesian church?
- Daily Reading for Sunday, March 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, March 27th, 2017 HD
- Adorable girl captured stealing Pope Francis' hat in hilarious footage HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.