Ecclesiastes - Chapter 6
1 I see another evil under the sun, which goes hard with people:
2 suppose someone has received from God riches, property, honours -- nothing at all left to wish for; but God does not give the chance to enjoy them, and some stranger enjoys them. This is futile, and grievous suffering too.
3 Or take someone who has had a hundred children and lived for many years, and, having reached old age, has never enjoyed the good things of life and has not even got a tomb; it seems to me, a still-born child is happier.
4 In futility it came, into darkness it departs, and in darkness will its name be buried.
5 It has never so much as seen or known the sun; all the same, it will rest more easily than that person,
6 who would never have known the good things of life, even by living a thousand years twice over. Do we not all go to the same place in the end?
7 All toil is for the mouth, yet the appetite is never satisfied.
10 What has been is already defined -- we know what people are: They cannot bring to justice one who is stronger than themselves.
11 The more we say, the more futile it is: what good can we derive from it?
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 3:2-3, 4-5, 6-8
Gospel, Luke 19:1-10
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, November 22nd, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, November 21, 2017
- Pope Francis on the poor and paradise
- Irish priest: Christians should stop saying 'Christmas' and 'Easter'
- Loras College announces new business school
- St. Gelasius: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, November 21, 2017
- Atheist plans to build a Robot God for other Atheists to worship HD Video
- daily readings
- saint george
- saint james
- Saint Patrick
- st. francis
- st. jude
- st. peter
- mother theresa
- st james
- st joan of arc
- advent prayers
- St Joseph
- ten commandments
- Pope Francis
- saint agnes
- St Anthony
- 10 commandments
- mary magdalene
- Patron saints
- st bernadette
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, November 21st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, November 20th, 2017 HD
- Catholics are sharing Christ's compassion. HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, November 19th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way