Judith - Chapter 4
1 When the Israelites living in Judaea heard how Holofernes, general-in-chief of Nebuchadnezzar king of the Assyrians, had treated the various nations, plundering their temples and destroying them,
3 They had returned from captivity only a short time before, and the resettlement of the people in Judaea and the reconsecration of the sacred furnishings, of the altar, and of the Temple, which had been profaned, were of recent date.
4 They therefore alerted the whole of Samaria, Kona, Beth-Horon, Belmain, Jericho, Choba, Aesora and the Salem valley.
7 He ordered them to occupy the mountain passes, the only means of access to Judaea, for there it would be easy for them to halt an attacking force, the narrowness of the approach not allowing men to advance more than two abreast.
9 All the men of Israel cried most fervently to God and humbled themselves before him.
12 They draped the altar itself in sackcloth and fervently joined together in begging the God of Israel not to let their children be carried off, their wives distributed as booty, the towns of their heritage destroyed, the Temple profaned and desecrated for the heathen to gloat over.
14 Joakim the high priest and all who stood before the Lord, the Lord's priests and ministers, wore sackcloth round their loins as they offered the perpetual burnt offering and the votive and voluntary offerings of the people.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 128:1-2, 3, 4-5
Gospel, Matthew 25:14-30
Reading 2, First Thessalonians 5:1-6
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- St. Nerses the Great: Saint of the Day for Sunday, November 19, 2017
- The FBI may investigate Planned Parenthood
- Daily Reading for Monday, November 20th, 2017 HD Video
- Has Pope Francis violated the 8th Commandment, speaking out against ...
- Daily Readings for Sunday, November 19, 2017
- Pope Francis calls for end of life care to acknowledge mortality
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, November 21st, 2017 HD Video
- The Catholic Miracle. Become part of our incredible mission HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, November 19th, 2017 HD
- Did Pope Francis blast 'perverse attitude' of climate change deniers? HD
- Scientists warn: The end of life as we know it is near HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way