Skip to content
Deacon Keith Fournier Hi readers, it seems you use Catholic Online a lot; that's great! It's a little awkward to ask, but we need your help. If you have already donated, we sincerely thank you. We're not salespeople, but we depend on donations averaging $14.76 and fewer than 1% of readers give. If you donate just $5.00, the price of your coffee, Catholic Online School could keep thriving. Thank you. Help Now >

Sri Lanka holds first public Masses since Easter attacks

Free World Class Education
FREE Catholic Classes

By (CNA/EWTN)
5/14/2019 (6 months ago)
Catholic Online (https://www.catholic.org)

The Sri Lankan Catholic Church on May 12 held its first public Sunday Masses since suicide bombers claimed more than 250 lives and injured hundreds of others on Easter.

Highlights

By (CNA/EWTN)
Catholic Online (https://www.catholic.org)
5/14/2019 (6 months ago)

Published in Europe

Keywords: Sri Lanka, Masses, Easter attacks


Colombo, Sri Lanka, (CNA) - Attendees at the Masses saw heightened safety precautions, including full-body searches, ID checks, and street patrols by military and police forces, according to The Guardian. At the churches' gates, volunteers kept an eye out for suspicious people.

Last week, President Maithripala Sirisena told the Associated Press that "99%" of suspects related to the bombings have been arrested and explosive material has been seized.

Church leaders are considering reopening Catholic schools on Tuesday, the AP reported.

As a security measure, all public Masses had been cancelled for the two weeks following attacks by eight suicide bombers on two Catholic churches, a protestant church, three hotels, a residence, and a zoo on April 21.

On the Sunday following the attacks, a televised Mass was held at the private residential chapel of Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, the archbishop of Colombo. A private ordination Mass quietly went ahead as planned April 30 in the village of Thannamunai, with attendance lower than had originally been anticipated.

On Monday, several social media platforms were banned indefinitely by the government amid concerns surrounding hateful speech and fake news. Facebook, Whatsapp, and Youtube among those sites blocked, according to CNN.

Other safety precautions undertaken by the government include enforcement of curfews and banning face veils. The government has also sought to suppress the jiihadist group National Thowheeth Jama'ath, whom the police say was responsible for the attacks. ISIS leaders have also claimed responsbility for the bombings, saying the local jihadists had pledged loyalty to the Islamic State.

According to The Guardian, 56 people have been arrested in connection with the attacks, 13 safe-houses have been discovered, and 41 bank accounts belonging to the bombers have been found. However, police officials have continued to caution people about potential threats.

Since the attacks, Catholic charity groups have provided aid to the victims and their families. UCA News reported that Caritas Sethsarana has been funding medical services, transportation assistance, legal support, and home repair.

"We have identified those who have been heavily traumatized, and counseling by professionals is underway," said Father Claude Nonis, an organizer for these church-run operations.

"I was inspired by what I saw Caritas doing," a policeman at one of the hospitals told UCA News.

"They were right there with the families, helping them to identify the bodies, and they stayed with them until all the necessary arrangements had been made."
 


Comments


More Europe

How the Church is honoring pilots and the 'flying' house of the Virgin Mary Watch

Image of

At first glance, pilots and plane passengers have little in common with the Holy House of Mary in Loreto, Italy. Loreto, Italy, (CNA) - At ... continue reading


Vatican investments linked to global money laundering investigations Watch

Image of

A fund in which the Vatican's Secretariat of State has invested tens of millions of euros has links to two Swiss banks investigated or ... continue reading



Anti-Catholic vandalism in Northern Ireland deters families, prompts investigation Watch

Image of Belfast Northern Ireland at night

Reports emerged this week of a third act of sectarian vandalism at a social housing development in Northern Ireland, into which a Catholic ... continue reading


Catholic Church discovered in Dublin archeology dig Watch

Image of Celtic cross

After the demolition of a Dublin building, archaeologists have  discovered the foundations a 300-year-old church that was used during ... continue reading


Release of new curial constitution delayed again Watch

Image of St. Peters Basilica in Vatican City

The publication date of the new constitution governing the Roman Curia has been delayed again as Pope Francis' council of cardinals ... continue reading


Never Miss any Updates!

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers.

Catholic Online Logo

Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2019 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.

Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.